Diabetes Expert Forum
pre-diabetes

Questions in the Diabetes forum are answered by medical professionals. Topics covered include Type 2 Diabetes, blood glucose monitoring, diabetes and heart disease, diabetes and pneumonia, diabetes and pregnancy, diabetes and vision problems, diabetes and wound healing, diabetic complications, hyperglycemia, hypoglycemia, and insulin.

pre-diabetes

I am a 28 yo female.  I used a glucometer first thing in the am before I ate breakfast and my reading was 100.  Is this an accurate reading compared to a fasting blood glucose?  If so then at 100 I am "pre-diabetic" from all the numbers I have seen.  I know that diet and lifestyle play a part.  But I am young.  Could I really be pre-diabetic?  I do have some symptoms recently.  If I go to long without eating I get shaky, my eyes get tired and somewhat altered vision, and I just feel out of it.  I have been having problems with gaining weight although I eat frequently.  Any help would be appreciated.
The reading on the glucometer is usually fairly reliable, although you can recheck it another morning to see if another reading is in the same range, or ask your doctor to do a formal fasting glucose. The 100mg/dL is right at the borderline of normal and pre-diabetes. It can happen in any age group, so I am afraid that being young doesn't give exceptions. The symptoms you describe are not actually consistent of diabetes unless your blood sugars are high during that time--have you ever checked your sugars during those shaky periods?
Have your doctor do a fasting glucose or a 2 hour glucose challenge, this will give you the most information right now.
take care.