Diabetes Expert Forum
sudden onset of type 2 diabetes

Questions in the Diabetes forum are answered by medical professionals. Topics covered include Type 2 Diabetes, blood glucose monitoring, diabetes and heart disease, diabetes and pneumonia, diabetes and pregnancy, diabetes and vision problems, diabetes and wound healing, diabetic complications, hyperglycemia, hypoglycemia, and insulin.

sudden onset of type 2 diabetes

I'm in my early 50's and have never had blood glucose problems.  I had blood work done a few months ago that was normal except for very high triglycerides.  I also have asymptomatic gall stones.

A few weeks ago I notice that there was an increase in the frequency of urination, I was losing weight and vision had become blurry - although not consistently.  Recently my doctor found glucose in my urine and a stick test showed the level to be 270.

There have been no major changes in my lifestyle.  I have been less active than usual.  I haven't exercised regularly in several years.

What would account for this sudden and dramatic change - from normal fasting blood glucose a few months ago to a reading of 270 now?

I have the metformin that was prescribed, but I would much rather be able to regulate my insulin sensitivity naturally.

Any help understanding this change would be appreciated.
Was the level of 270 mg/dL also fasting? And how "normal" was the prior value several months ago?  Unless you have recently been placed on medications that can  make blood sugars worse(like prednisone) or had a major insult to your pancreas, my guess is that even though the value several months ago was "normal" you probably had some mild impaired glucose handling then, and during the last few months something has tipped you over into diabetes--perhaps stress, a recent illness etc.

A reading of 270 is quite high. You possibly have a good chance of eventually taking care of your diabetes through diet changes and exercise(thus losing some weight) but right now you should be on some medication to prevent you from becoming ill with these high glucose values. Medication is not always permanent--so while you are on the metformin, keep exercising and changing your diet so that hopefully in future you can be weaned off of it entirely.

Take care.
-5 Comments
Do you snore? If you have a sleep disorder such as sleep apnea, it could cause your blood sugar to suddenly get out of control. It's worth checking out as well, if your doctor hasn't already.
Thanks for the information.  I appreciate it.

Maybe the elevated triglycerides was the precursor.  It's still a little scary that it can crop up that quickly, but I guess that's just how it goes sometimes.  To be honest though, I think the test results were more than a couple months ago - I'll have to check.

It turned out that when I started testing my blood sugar, it was up as high as 370.  However now that I've been on metformin for nearly a week, the level seems to hover between the 180's (morning usually) and the 230's or so.  And it's been dropping a little each day so hopefully by the time I hit the 2 week mark it will be pretty close to normal.

btw, I don't snore but I do sometimes have nightmares that wake me up.
Watch your carbohydrate intake.  That alone can make a really big difference.  You can't believe how many carbs are in some things, especially the things we all love. Try and keep them 50-60 grams per meal and you will see changes. Drink alot of water and make sure you stay away from the sweeets of course.  Keep us posted with your progress. My husband is doing what I just suggested for you and he has been taken off one med already for hypoglycemic incidence. Now thats progress:)
A related discussion, Low Thyroid Levels/ High Blood glucose was started.
A related discussion, Impossibly high Blood Sugar reading! was started.