Diabetes Expert Forum
type 2 diabetes and nausea

Questions in the Diabetes forum are answered by medical professionals. Topics covered include Type 2 Diabetes, blood glucose monitoring, diabetes and heart disease, diabetes and pneumonia, diabetes and pregnancy, diabetes and vision problems, diabetes and wound healing, diabetic complications, hyperglycemia, hypoglycemia, and insulin.

type 2 diabetes and nausea

I was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes 6 months ago and placed on Metformin 500mg twice a day.  Within 30 days I was experiencing frequent nausea (with no vomiting).  My MD thought it might be caused by Metformin so he changed to Glucotrol XL 10mg twice a day.  For a few days it appeared to work, but the nausea returned and seem to get worse.  I had been doing a very poor job of controling what I eat.

Could my nausea be caused by high blood sugar ?
Were you able to check your blood sugars during that times you felt the nausea? That is the only way to know if it is related to the blood sugar levels.

Nausea is a common side effect of some medications used for diabetes, however it is also associated with diabetes itself, and also other problems such as reflux and heart disease. If the nausea continues and does not seem to be related to either high or low blood sugars, speak to your doctor about this being a possible side effect AND start searching for other causes.
In regard to the eating, perhaps a consultation with a diabetes nutritionist will help  in getting you on the right path. It does take some willpower, but you can definitely teach yourself some healthier habits.

Take care.
1 Comment
A related discussion, Nausea and weakness was started.
A related discussion, Diabetes with Nausea was started.