Diabetes Expert Forum
type 2 diabetes and nausea
About This Forum:

Questions in the Diabetes forum are answered by medical professionals. Topics covered include Type 2 Diabetes, blood glucose monitoring, diabetes and heart disease, diabetes and pneumonia, diabetes and pregnancy, diabetes and vision problems, diabetes and wound healing, diabetic complications, hyperglycemia, hypoglycemia, and insulin.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

type 2 diabetes and nausea

I was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes 6 months ago and placed on Metformin 500mg twice a day.  Within 30 days I was experiencing frequent nausea (with no vomiting).  My MD thought it might be caused by Metformin so he changed to Glucotrol XL 10mg twice a day.  For a few days it appeared to work, but the nausea returned and seem to get worse.  I had been doing a very poor job of controling what I eat.

Could my nausea be caused by high blood sugar ?
Related Discussions
291531_tn?1193614293
Hi,
Were you able to check your blood sugars during that times you felt the nausea? That is the only way to know if it is related to the blood sugar levels.

Nausea is a common side effect of some medications used for diabetes, however it is also associated with diabetes itself, and also other problems such as reflux and heart disease. If the nausea continues and does not seem to be related to either high or low blood sugars, speak to your doctor about this being a possible side effect AND start searching for other causes.
In regard to the eating, perhaps a consultation with a diabetes nutritionist will help  in getting you on the right path. It does take some willpower, but you can definitely teach yourself some healthier habits.

Take care.
1 Comment
Blank
A related discussion, Nausea and weakness was started.
Blank
804587_tn?1238015725
A related discussion, Diabetes with Nausea was started.
Blank
Continue discussion Blank
MedHelp Health Answers
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
RSS Expert Activity
469720_tn?1388149949
Blank
Abdominal Aortic Aneurysm-treatable... Blank
Oct 04 by Lee Kirksey, MDBlank