Diabetes Expert Forum
type II and weight loss

Questions in the Diabetes forum are answered by medical professionals. Topics covered include Type 2 Diabetes, blood glucose monitoring, diabetes and heart disease, diabetes and pneumonia, diabetes and pregnancy, diabetes and vision problems, diabetes and wound healing, diabetic complications, hyperglycemia, hypoglycemia, and insulin.

type II and weight loss

7 months after having my second child I was dx'd with Type II. I am 36 yrs old and at 102 pounds today with a small frame. I had gestational and they all said it would go away that I don’t fit the typical diabetic symptoms.  No luck there. I took the 2 hour test again as a follow and low and behold I still have it. During the pregnancy I only got high readings if I was not careful well 7 months later I can go both ways now. Highs and lows. I am also nursing to complicated things. My doctor seems to not really care either way and I think I better search out a new one. I am not on any meds. My question is… what is too low? I have hit 59 without any symptoms. I am eating every 2 hours with 30 grams of carbs at each sitting. Suggestions?
In terms of the lower numbers, those can be very normal if you feel fine. Healthy young women can have blood sugars in the 50's and be absolutely fine and healthy.  80-90's during the day are picture-perfect.

In terms of the diabetes diagnosis, your 2 hour glucose test would have been useful for that, and it sounds like your doctor and nurse are trying to have it controlled with diet only--is that right? If your blood sugars are not going  high after meals(above 140) then you may not need medication at this point.

As you are aware, be sure to get enough calories as you are nursing. You may need to increase your carbs to do that--you need 500 extra calories per day for each child you nurse. If you have not met with a diabetes nutritionist, I strongly suggest doing that. They are absolutely wonderful when trying to control sugars with diet only.
Take care.
U didn't say how high your BS go or when, what is your am BS? is the low's happening alot. I have heard that the more carbs u eat the more lows hypo u can become. My husband has that, if he eats a high carb meal 2 hrs later he is at 60, if he eats low carb he has no trouble at all.
Well, to answer your question. My BS gets low during the day. I run around with my two children going places the stop to take my sugar and bingo too low. I am eating every 2 hours about 30grms of carbs in each meal. Keep in mind Im nursing so I need the extra calories. No it doesnt happen alot but it does happen . My sugars are 80-90 during the day if normal.