Diabetes Expert Forum
would having the flu affect the test results?

Questions in the Diabetes forum are answered by medical professionals. Topics covered include Type 2 Diabetes, blood glucose monitoring, diabetes and heart disease, diabetes and pneumonia, diabetes and pregnancy, diabetes and vision problems, diabetes and wound healing, diabetic complications, hyperglycemia, hypoglycemia, and insulin.

I got the call from my doctor today saying I have gestational diabetes & anemia. I've had anemia off & on all my life but the diabetes is new for me. The day before my test I had flu like symptoms, I threw up all morning, not normal for me with this pregnancy, I didn't eat anything but a small dinner that day. The next morning I had a half cup of coffee with international delight sweeter & an apple then did my blood test. I'm just confused because I don't indulge in sweets or junk food, I eat small meals/snacks all day, dinner is my biggest meal. I have no symptoms of gestational diabetes, and have 2 kids already, its never been an issue with either of them when I was pregnant! Could the test be wrong?
Hi and thanks for using the forum.

Congratulations on your pregnancy.  

Just because you had a positive glucose screening test, it does not necessarily mean that you definitely  have gestational diabetes.  YOu will need to go for a second (longer) glucose tolerance test.  You need to ask your doctor if you have to fast for this test.  Usually water is OK, but you should ask ahead of time just to be sure- you don't want to have to repeat it.  Good luck.

Bridget
I'm going to have my second test, can I have at list water before I go?
Thank you :) it turns out I was supposed to fast but I had the coffee & an apple so that threw the results off big time. I went to a diabetes clinic & got a couple more tests done & everything was fine!