Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Expert Forum
3rd time diagnosed w/ H-Pylori, b4 and after gastric bypass surgery

This is a place to ask questions about digestive problems and receive a personal answer from a highly qualified doctor. You will also find support from other members who share your interest in digestive disorders. Digestive Disorders include: Anal and Rectal problems, Barrett’s Esophagus, Bleeding in the Stomach and Digestive Tract, Constipation, Crohn’s Disease, Gastritis, GERD, Heartburn, Proctitis, Short Bowel Syndrome, Ulcers, Whipple’s Disease, Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome (and many more).

I was diagnosed w/ H-Pylori during a routine endoscopy prior to my gastri bypass surgery. I was put on the prev-pac and it was assumed it was gone. I had my gastric bypass surgery on July 5th, 2001 and became very ill as a post-op from the 3rd week on. Another endoscopy was ordered b/c I was throwing up a lot. Once again, I was diagnosed w/ H-Pylori which leads me to believe it was always present during the surgery since my 1st treatment of prev-pac ended just 2 weeks b4 my surgery. Now it's nearly 4 month since my gastric bypass surgery and once again I have started throwing up like crazy. Another endoscopy was done yesterday and once again, I have H-Pylori. I believe I have never gotten rid of it. What effect will this have on the portion of my stomach that was stapled off from the rest of my stomach. It is just sitting inside me. Will the meds be able to reach this unused portion of my stomach. My eshophagus and stoma are all irritated and my acid reflux is very bad again. I am on my third course of Prev-pac. Should my gastro doctor have prescribed a different medication regimen? This is so scary to me. This h-pylori makes me so sick. I have trouble keeping anything down and I also became dehydrated yesterday and spent the day in the ER w/ IV fluids. Why is it taking so long to get rid of this bacteria? Any information esp. anything relating to Gastric Bypass and H-pylori bacteria present would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance..........Dena
A related discussion, weight gain adter 10 yr g b surery was started.
A related discussion, H pylori and surgery was started.