Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Expert Forum
4 year nausea (some vomitting) and 30+ food allergies

This is a place to ask questions about digestive problems and receive a personal answer from a highly qualified doctor. You will also find support from other members who share your interest in digestive disorders. Digestive Disorders include: Anal and Rectal problems, Barrett’s Esophagus, Bleeding in the Stomach and Digestive Tract, Constipation, Crohn’s Disease, Gastritis, GERD, Heartburn, Proctitis, Short Bowel Syndrome, Ulcers, Whipple’s Disease, Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome (and many more).

My husband has been experiencing nausea and vomiting (more so nausea) now for over 4 years.  He was told he had some stomach erosion and was placed on protonix, with no results. He was told he had over 30 allergies to food and I was wondering should my he be seing an Allergy MD. Diagnosed with - GERD, IBS - but the purple pill or zelnorm treated the problem. Is it safe to deduce that my husband's food allergies is causing some swelling within his digestive tract which mimics some degree of obstruction. It is causing the food to regurgitate or sit in his stomache and does not move forward during peristalsis?The reason why I think there is some form of obstruction (mild), is because he has to take a laxative to get the stool out, which makes the stool semi-liquid and it gives him relief from the tight abdomen. He says his abdomen gets so tight it feels like it is going to burst after meals.  It makes him uncomfortable to the point he loses focus at work because of the feeling inside of his stomach. He describes his stomach movement like a pendulum. He burps frequently. Could this be part of the vomiting he is experiencing and should he be on some type of steroid to reduce the inflammatory response from the food allergies? It just appears that he is allergic to many foods because this happens even when drinking water. He use to reported weight loss, but since he has been just "dealing with it", he has gained some wgt back.  He is Hep C neg, His teeth look some stained from vomiting from the past years. Now he reports lack of energy.  He vomit emesis that had a green.Now he says it feels like food is in his esophagus. And even though food might not be there that is how it feels to him. He has had an upper endoscopy, tapeworm test. H. pylori which were neg.The vomiting subsides approximate 1 year ago.  He has more than normal secretion of saliva, and frequently he chokes off of it. He got discourage when nothing seem to work. What should we do next?
I agree with the upper endoscopy, which would provide a comprehensive evaluation of the upper digestive tract, and can exclude gastritis or ulcers.

If the symptoms have been going on for the past 4 years, more specialized tests may need to be considered.  This can include a 24-hr pH study to exclude GERD as well as a gastric emptying scan.  The latter test can evaluate for gastroparesis, which can lead to chronic nausea.  

If the GERD is not improved with medications or conservative therapy, surgical or endoscopic options may need to be considered.  

Another consideration would be esophageal motility studies to look for motility disorders.  This is an uncommon cause, and if suspected, should be discussed in consultation with a GI consultant.

This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice - the information presented is for patient education only. Please see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.

Kevin Pho, M.D.
www.kevinmd.com
www.twitter.com/kevinmd
Good advice, however, I still wanted to know about food allergies and whether we should look into another area of studies to see if theses allergies are causing swelling in his digestive tract, which is in turn could be cause backage which leads to the nausea.