Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Expert Forum
AFTER COLON RESECTION
About This Forum:

This is a place to ask questions about digestive problems and receive a personal answer from a highly qualified doctor. You will also find support from other members who share your interest in digestive disorders. Digestive Disorders include: Anal and Rectal problems, Barrett’s Esophagus, Bleeding in the Stomach and Digestive Tract, Constipation, Crohn’s Disease, Gastritis, GERD, Heartburn, Proctitis, Short Bowel Syndrome, Ulcers, Whipple’s Disease, Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome (and many more).

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

AFTER COLON RESECTION

8/8/08 I HAD A COLON RESECTION DUE TO DIVERTICULITIS (CHRONIC & ACCUTE). THE DOCTOR REMOVED 12" OF COLON AND A LOT OF ENDOMETREOSIS (C-SECTION 1/21/84, HYSTERECHTOMY 1997 WHERE ENDOMETRIOSIS PRESENT).I AM 51 YRS OLD. FIRST 4 MONTHS OF RECOVERY GOOD - BUT INSTEAD OF DIARHEA (diarrhea) I HAD FORMED BM'S AFTER 5 DAYS SO HAVE WORKED HARD TO COUNTERACT ANY PAIN MEDS WITH HIGH FIBER DIET - ALL WAS FINE.  AT 4 WEEK MARK I HAD A STRANGE BM PURGE WITHOUT PAIN BUT IT WAS SO MUCH VOLUME EVEN THOUGH I HAD A BM EVERY DAY SINCE SURGERY. IT WAS VERY STRANGE - I COULDN'T IMAGINE WHERE IT CAME FROM. 2 DAYS LATER I HAD SEVERE CRAMPS AND DIARHEA (diarrhea) FOR 1.5 HOURS - THE PAIN WAS SO GREAT I HAD COMPLETE BODY SWEATS. I REDUCED MY FOOD INTAKE GREATLY AND FOR 2 DAYS NO BM'S BUT THEN I HAD ANOTHER PAINFUL ATTACK.

IN ADDITION TO THIS SINCE THE BEGINNING I HAVE HAD SPASMS EVERY TIME I URINATE AND NEED TO PUSH ON GUT SO ALL THE BLADDER IS RELIEVED - THIS HAS CONTINUED.   AS I FELT BETTER I DECIDED TO TRY INTERCOURSE WITH MY HUSBAND AND THE PAIN WAS NEW (TOWARD THE SIDE OF THE OPENING AND INTENSE AND PREVENTED ANY ACTION.  PRIOR TO SURGERY I HAVE HAD VERY DEEP VAGINAL PAIN WHICH LUBRICATION SEEM TO HELP .

I SAW THE SURGEON MONDAY 9/15 - HE PALPITATED MY GUT THEN SENT ME FOR URINE AND BLOOD WORK. THE TESTS CAME BACK NORMAL BUT I HAVE A LOW GRADE FEVER , WEAKNESS, REDUCED APPETITE AND AM WAITING TO HAVE BM SINCE 2ND ATTACK 9/16.

I AM CONCERNED ABOUT POST SURGURY INFECTION, BAD CRAMPSAND DIARHEA (diarrhea) AND BAD VAGINAL PAIN.  WHAT SHOULD I BE CONCERNED ABOUT.