Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Expert Forum
Abdominal Pain/Loss of weight-appetite

This is a place to ask questions about digestive problems and receive a personal answer from a highly qualified doctor. You will also find support from other members who share your interest in digestive disorders. Digestive Disorders include: Anal and Rectal problems, Barrett’s Esophagus, Bleeding in the Stomach and Digestive Tract, Constipation, Crohn’s Disease, Gastritis, GERD, Heartburn, Proctitis, Short Bowel Syndrome, Ulcers, Whipple’s Disease, Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome (and many more).

Abdominal Pain/Loss of weight-appetite

Here are my symptoms since August of this year and continuing to present:  Pain under right rib cage spreading to back (not always and not incapacitating), fatigue, a feeling of general malaise, complete loss of appetite, loss of weight (26 pounds in 2 and half months), on and off diarrhea and constipation, bloating, burping, terrible indigestion, itchy skin, and a feeling in my upper throat of tightness and that it could swell shut (this is now constant).  Lately the pain has been going to my upper abdomen and left side as well.  Sometimes I feel bone pain in my ribs and back.  Day by day I want to eat less and less.  I feel there is a terrible problem in my digestive system.  The good news is that as of late my bowel movements have been more
To answer your questions:
1) There has been a comprehensive evaluation of the GI tract.  If you are concerned about the pancreas, an MRI (seperate from an MRCP) or an endoscopic ultrasound can be considered to further evaluate this.

2) MRCP evaluates the biliary ducts.  An MRI of the pancreas can provide more clarity.  Anti-anxiety medications will help if anxiety is causing your symptoms.

3) It is possible for a pancreatic tumor to cause such pain.  However, if that was the case, it would have to be large enough such that a CT scan would be able to pick it up.  

4) With the itching, you can consider something like primary biliary sclerosis or sclerosing cholangitis.  If this is considered, you can consider a liver biopsy or ERCP for further evaluation.

These options can be discussed with your personal physician.

Followup with your personal physician is essential.

This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice - the information presented is for patient education only. Please see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.

Kevin, M.D.
http://www.straightfromthedoc.com
1 Comment
A hida scan would rule out gallbladder problems for sure!!!The only way to really now if you have a liver problem is a biopy done..I have been trying to get my gi to do one on me but they will not do one if your lft keep coming back normal..But if you read on symtoms (symptoms) of axiety there is a big list of them its pretty crazy on how the mind can do things to your body the mind gut theory..
A related discussion, has his issue been resolved? was started.
A related discussion, loss of appetite + common GERD symptoms was started.