Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Expert Forum
Abdominal Pain and Nausea.

This is a place to ask questions about digestive problems and receive a personal answer from a highly qualified doctor. You will also find support from other members who share your interest in digestive disorders. Digestive Disorders include: Anal and Rectal problems, Barrett’s Esophagus, Bleeding in the Stomach and Digestive Tract, Constipation, Crohn’s Disease, Gastritis, GERD, Heartburn, Proctitis, Short Bowel Syndrome, Ulcers, Whipple’s Disease, Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome (and many more).

Abdominal Pain and Nausea.

Since 1998 I have had severe nausea, upper and lower abdominal pain, constipation, diarrhea, over 100 pound weight loss, bloating, ect.  I have had upper and lower endoscopy and they say nothing is wrong.  In 2003 I was found to have a kidney tumor and had a radical nephrectomy.  This did not stop the symptoms.  They tell me it has to be IBS, but I am not so sure.  I had my gallbladder removed recently due to "sludge back up and starting of stones", but still having symtoms (symptoms).  I was found to have a small hemangioma or peripheral infarct on the liver.  Should I be worried about this?  I had cancer so maybe it is metastasis?  My PCP didn't mention this to me so I do not know that he is concerned?  I am still feeling terrible all the time and do not know what else to try.  They have me on Nexium, levsin, compazine, Reglan, and Xanex.  I just want to feel better?  Any suggestions?

Thank you for your time.

Shel48
An upper and lower endoscopy is a pretty good start to the evaluation.  Things like GERD, ulcers, masses and inflammation would have been seen with these tests.  

A hemangioma is typically not associated with cancer - however a CT scan or MRI can give a better evaluate of the liver lesion to ensure it isn't cancer.  

Further testing can include a gastric emptying scan to evaluate for gastroparesis as well as an ERCP with Sphincter of Oddi manometry - both are uncommon diseases that may cause some of your symptoms.

These options can be discussed with your personal physician.

Followup with your personal physician is essential.

This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice - the information presented is for patient education only. Please see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.

Kevin, M.D.
kevinmd_b
By the way I am only 27 years old.....thanks
I just found this website and think it is wonderful. I'm glad to know that I'm not the only one with stomach problems. My symptoms are some what the same.  It all started out with my menstrual cycle.  I woke up early in the am the day after x-mas to go to the bathroom and after had a real bad cramp.  Not to long ago I had the same problem and found out that I had a small cyst on my left ovary which desolved months later and everything seem to be ok until this last time.  While I was still cramping I tryed soaking in a warm tube of water to help relieve the pain when I got out I so bloated that I could not sit down. I was like that for about 3 days.  I kinda new when my cycle was close to ending that the bloating would subside, which it did, but I still had alittle so I started drinking chamomile tea to help out and used a heating pad.  Well about a week ago I ate breakfast and then had a baked potatoe for lunch and about 2hrs later I started having severe abdominal pain.  When I got home I had real bad diaherra (diarrhea) and I also vomited the pain was so bad I thought I was dying.  I later went to the ER because I never experienced such bad pain.  I had blood work done and a abdominal CT scan which all came back good.  They did tell me that they could not see my appendix because I intestines were real inflammed, so I came home and now a week later I'm still not feeling good.  I get very gassy and somewhat nauseated I haven't been able to eat a full meal just toast, mash potatoes, etc.  I went back to my dr and she did somemore blood test, but everything came back within normal range.  I've had two bowel movements one soft the other hard and yellow is color.  I haven't lost that much weight about 4 pounds and I sleep pretty good at night, but when I wake up and still lay in bed my stomach starts gnawing and I can hear the gas exploding.  I still get bloated, but not as bad.  I have some pain on my lower right side around my waist area and hips and on the back of my rib cage.  I had a upper GI and colonoscopy about 2 years ago and they didn't seem to find anything except that I had hemmoroids (hemorrhoids).  Normally after a stomach bug I feel fine about a day or so later, but this has been going for about a week now.  I have gotten depressed and don't want to do anything or eat because I'm afaid of going thru the same thing.  Althougt my symptoms are not as bad as your I could use some insight on what I experiencing.  Thanks a good luck.
Hi there fellow nausea sufferers. I am a 23 year old male, i started to get nauseated after a summer of fun. It appeared as though the drinking seemed to initiate the nausea (not hang over nausea). The doctors though gastritis but later tests showed no inflammation and the pain/ discomfort in which the nausea seemed to eminate from was the upper right quadrant. Ive always thought gallbladder or liver myself due to the location or maybe inflamation (inflammation) in my duodenum. Later i had kidney stones turned out it was because i always eat tums for heart burn. Turns out i had high blood calcium levels due to the high dietary source of calcuim Tums and milk. My urologist told me to stop eating tums and reduce milk products and drink hoards of water. Since then its been about 8 months and my nausea and URQ pain have steadily improved. They are not gone and do flair up but seem to be much more predictable and controllable. No diagnosis has been concretly made as my last appointment at a G.I thought maybe pancreatitis but i dont think so.Any way try drink alot of water through out the day it is good for the liver and gall bladder and may help you. I know its hard to do if your nauseated but its worth a try.
A related discussion, Abdominal Pain was started.
A related discussion, Abdominal pain and nausea. was started.