Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Expert Forum
Abdominal Pain in the Front and Back Upper Left Area

This is a place to ask questions about digestive problems and receive a personal answer from a highly qualified doctor. You will also find support from other members who share your interest in digestive disorders. Digestive Disorders include: Anal and Rectal problems, Barrett’s Esophagus, Bleeding in the Stomach and Digestive Tract, Constipation, Crohn’s Disease, Gastritis, GERD, Heartburn, Proctitis, Short Bowel Syndrome, Ulcers, Whipple’s Disease, Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome (and many more).

During the past 3 months I have suffered from acute abdominal pain located in my upper to mid left back, front and around my abdominal section.  The pain is constant but at times it gets worst especially after eating.  The pain is also accompanied with a constant headache that will not go away even with Tylenol.  I have severed nausea with no vomiting.  I am also for the most part constipated and have lots of gas.   I feel weak and I also feel like I am fainting at times.  I recently had both a colonoscopy and endoscopy and both were normal.   I also had a CT scan without contrast that also was negative. What do you think I might have?  What tests should I ask my MD to conduct in order to rule out anything?  I am a 47 year old male otherwise in good health. Thank you
Coronado,

I'm sorry you've suffered with upper to mid left abdominal pain and nausea and headache for 3 months after eating.  Although colonoscopy and endoscopy and CT scans are good to look at reasons for these symptoms, you should ask your doctor about the possibility that this is related to migraine headaches which can lead to these symptoms as well.

Enoch Choi, MD
I am having upper abdominal pain on my left side. I have also been having problems for the past six months with my stomach as well. I have been vomiting and am nauseous all the time. I had a colonoscopy and a CT scan but everything came back normal.  The upper left side abdominal pain is just recent and I am worried that something is wrong. If anyone could help me that would be amazing thank you.
Am a 45 year old otherwise healthy female. Post menopausal x 4 years. Healthy weight, non smoker, 2 adults kids.  Chronic ibs symptoms x 20 years.  Poor bowel motility.  Extreme distention, gas, mild dyspepsia.

Good diet, plenty fruit, veg, dairy. v low fat. No weight loss, have had headache, intermittent sweats with occasional low tempx 2 weeks. Sleep well. No pain at night that I can tell.  Starts when I get up.

Currently on Pariet 40mg 1 a day. Have been on Somac -  no help.  Nexium long term, minimal help.  Pariet seems to be helping the dyspepia now; lessened sense of choking, globus and trouble swallowing.

What concerns me is the abd pain.  Have been light headed, very tired unable to excerise as usual.  Sleeping during day.  Generally feeling very very tired - with some periods of almost normality.

No family history of pancreatitis or cancer of stomache or pancreas. Mother had gall stones removed.  No stones noted on my  Not depressed, family history of generalised anx disorder. taking Pristiq 50mg 1 day. Very good results.

Having an upper/lower gi end next month.  2 past upper/lower gi end 1 in 1997 - ok, one in 2006 was also normal.  No pylori noted there. Have been worked up this week for upper central, left & right abd pain with some lower rib pain going around the left to the back behind the left shoulder blade.  Full blood panel was normal.  Ultrasound of pelvis and upper abd considered normal. No biliary disease/stones etc.. Ct of abdomen noted
a bulky pancreas but no evidence of pancreatitis. No evidence of mass.

My questions are these:
Can a bulky pancreas occur without pancreatitis or are the two always seen together?  Does pancreatitis always cause a bulky pancreas?  
Is the CT a definitive tool to rule out pancreatitis and or ca of pancreas?
Should I be suspicious of an alternative and possible problematic condition that is not
immediately obvious?
How common is a bulky pancreas in people my age?
Do bulky pancreas' resolve over time in most people or are they always an indicator of
cancer or pancreatitis.

Given my history, should I consider myself to be in a higher risk category for occult ca?

Many thanks for your response.
A related discussion, Going out of my mind with extreme bloating..any insight would be much appreciated! was started.
A related discussion, Tapeworm?? was started.
A related discussion, Gastro trouble, heart paps and trouble breathing was started.
A related discussion, Gastro Symptoms... Help. was started.
A related discussion, undiagnosed stomach related condition was started.
A related discussion, severe pain in stomach with vomiting was started.
A related discussion, WHATS MY CONDITION?any doctor? was started.
A related discussion, Upper abdonimal pain and upper back pain was started.
A related discussion, Stomach Transplant? was started.
A related discussion, EXTREMEM BLOATING!! was started.
A related discussion, EXPLORATORY LAPAROTOMY PROCEDURE WITH EGD was started.
A related discussion, pain on the right side of abdomen was started.
A related discussion, help and in pain... need answers, or any suggestions other than "its all in my head"... after 9 yrs of pain, was started.
A related discussion, primary intestinal pseudoobstuction and (ACTH/serotonin)producing gut carcinoid was started.
A related discussion, Why is my abdomen so bloated was started.
A related discussion, upper right pain was started.