Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Expert Forum
Abdominal Swelling,heaviness,short of breath

This is a place to ask questions about digestive problems and receive a personal answer from a highly qualified doctor. You will also find support from other members who share your interest in digestive disorders. Digestive Disorders include: Anal and Rectal problems, Barrett’s Esophagus, Bleeding in the Stomach and Digestive Tract, Constipation, Crohn’s Disease, Gastritis, GERD, Heartburn, Proctitis, Short Bowel Syndrome, Ulcers, Whipple’s Disease, Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome (and many more).

Help. I am 42 and have had acid reflux for 15 years. I drink about 5 beers a day. For the last 3 years, my stomach swells after I eat,but the doctors could not figure out why. Early Wed. morning when I went to bed, I had noticed a really full feeling, and my whole upper abdomen was swoleen really big, the whole area ,not just my stomach area.It felt like someone had hit me in the center under the sternum. It was hard to get a full breath, and my heart kept racing. It seems to be a little tiny bit better during the day, but if I eat anything, it swells up instantly and hurts very bad. I used castor oil packs, but they don't seem to get the pain or heaviness to go away. I thought because of allergies, that maybe it was my asthma, but the inhaler does not seem to be helping. When breathing, it feels like your lungs won't expand all the way because of the pressure in the upper abdomen.I'm beginning to wonder if it's a heart attack,pancreas,liver,or asthma.When I'm tired or it gets late at night, it starts hurting more,and I can feel my heartbeat in my center upper abdomen. Please help if you might have any suggestions as to what might be going on. Thanks
It sounds like IBS, irritable bowel syndrome. I only know becuz I have that, too. After eating, my belly would swell up like I was 2 years pregnant and uncomfortable!!!....oh, man. Not fun!

I also have GERD. I've had the upper GI, the ultrasound, the endoscopy with biopsy (negative...whew!), and ph monitor test which came back saying that I have normal levels of acidity, but am "just more sensitive to it" than others. I didn't like my gastro doctor becuz he gave me no understanding and his bedside manner was awful. So,I got a second opinion and this angel of a doctor put me on IBS meds. Levbid. BUT, the Levbid irritates the acid reflux, so I also take Nexium. They should make one med that helps GERD and IBS all at the sametime, cuz they are so closely related.
I've been told to eat 6 small meals a day, fiber and more fiber, exercise daily about 30 minutes (walking is best for motility) and reduce stress. HA! I help stop violence and work with teens, so that's stress! But, I'm learning stress management and it's helping!
I good friend of mine, his wife passed away last year from lung cancer (never smoked in her life) and they opted homeopathic treatment. He wrote a small, but VERY detailed book on all the anti-oxidants, vitamins and minerals and herbs to take to help her body.
I'm taking the vitamins : C, B's and E and the minerals, selinium, magnesium,...etc.) I also take a Acidophillus pill about two times a day. It's "friendly bacteria" which fights the bad in our stomachs. And, my biggest help of all has come from Aloe Vera Max Lax (I have IBS that is constipating. Not the diaherrea). You can get that in the health food stores and it's calming both to the burning of GERD and the constipation of IBS.
Caffeine,gassy foods,alcohol (all doctor's say that's a big "no-no" don't drink alcohol), sugar and sweetners,cigarettes,chocolate, baked goods.....all bad for the stomach. Becuz cancer feeds on oxygen and sugar which alcohol breaks down to. Oxygen is in baked goods, anything that is deep fried and puffy, like donuts and croissants.....no good.
Peppermint encoated tablets (health food store) also is really good for IBS. It lets the gas out.
That's about it. Just have to change our habits and bring on new ones to keep healthy. Good luck to you and I hope some of that helped.
~Relic