Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Expert Forum
Abdominal pain / Pancreas pain

This is a place to ask questions about digestive problems and receive a personal answer from a highly qualified doctor. You will also find support from other members who share your interest in digestive disorders. Digestive Disorders include: Anal and Rectal problems, Barrett’s Esophagus, Bleeding in the Stomach and Digestive Tract, Constipation, Crohn’s Disease, Gastritis, GERD, Heartburn, Proctitis, Short Bowel Syndrome, Ulcers, Whipple’s Disease, Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome (and many more).

Abdominal pain / Pancreas pain

Over the past few months I have xperienced stomach pain. It first started once a month then increased to every second day it has now started becoming less frequent with attacks once per week. The doctors can not understand what the problem is as the liver and pancreas are off the charts - one doctor has said that the pain is related to the intestines and not the pancreas or liver. The pain continues with no answer as to what the problem can be options given pancrititis, liver or intestine. No cancer or any other adnormal results. I have had a scope and other procedures and everything is normal. The doctors removed my Gal blader - no stones found but Galblader was rottern. The pain is the same with no change. Stomach swells after attach and takes upto two days to go away. Pain lasts from 4 hours to two days.
Various types of upper GI disorders can lead to the symptoms.  This can include an ulcer, inflammation of the upper digestive tract, GERD or a motility disorder.  

You can consider an upper endoscopy or upper GI series as initial testing.  If negative, an abdominal CT scan can be considered to look at the pancreas as well as the liver.  

More specialized testing can be considered - including a gastric emptying scan or 24-hr pH study if the aforementioned tests are non-revealing.

These options can be discussed with your personal physician.

Followup with your personal physician is essential.

This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice - the information presented is for patient education only. Please see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.

Kevin, M.D.
kevinmd_
Hi, before I answer with my thoughts, I wonder whether you are a man or a woman?
You may have Sphincter of Oddi dysfunction.  I too have pain just like gallbladder attacks after gb removal.  Do some internet research on this subject and meet with a specialist.  This is a disorder alot of doctors don't know about and is VERY difficult to treat.  Find a doctor who knows about it and is willing to try and help.  I wish you luck, I suffer alot and wouldn't wish it on anyone else but it was a relief to realize I wasn't alone- there are alot of people who have this.
Over the past 2 months I too have been experiencing severe attacks. Mine are centrally located directly below the ribcage. The first one came about 11/5/06 2 hours after eating a large breakfast. I normally eat cereal during the week but on Saturdays I eat out. The walk-in clinic sent me to the hospital in an ambulance. They took x-rays, a sonagram and an mri and also took my blood about 6 times. There was no diagnosis the first time and they released me after 2 days. The next 3 attacks also came on about 2 hours after eating but I just decided to bite my tongue and wait till they passed, usually about 2-3 hours later. I had cut out the large breakfasts. The last one came on last monday and was so severe I went back to my Dr. She sent me for a blood test then called me the following morning and told me my levels were high and to go back to the emergency room. She faxed the hospital and after 14 hours in the emergency room they admitted me again. Over the next 3 days they did another scan and another sonogram and released me. My discharge instructions tell me I have acute pancreatitis and I should not drink alcohol(I haven't drank alcohol in 10 years)Follow a low fat diet(I have been on a low fat diet for the past 10 months except Saturday breakfast). Is this going to be an ongoing problem or will changes in eating habits prevent furthur attacks. The pain is indescribable. I passed a kidney stone 10 years ago and this is a lot worse.