Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Expert Forum
Abdominal pain, discomfort and bloating

This is a place to ask questions about digestive problems and receive a personal answer from a highly qualified doctor. You will also find support from other members who share your interest in digestive disorders. Digestive Disorders include: Anal and Rectal problems, Barrett’s Esophagus, Bleeding in the Stomach and Digestive Tract, Constipation, Crohn’s Disease, Gastritis, GERD, Heartburn, Proctitis, Short Bowel Syndrome, Ulcers, Whipple’s Disease, Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome (and many more).

Abdominal pain, discomfort and bloating

I posted a question about the same problem before, and I am hoping since the symptoms changed maybe I can get another answer.
I am 25 y/o white female,5'8,128lbs. I am in good health, i usualy exercise but havent since my stomach problem started. I dont smoke and dont drink.
About 5 months ago I expirienced a bloating in my right lower abdominal. It felt like somebody blew a ballon inside, and it eventualy subsided. it didnt hurt, it just felt weird, pushing hard through my skin...Since then I went to a hernia specialist, my gyno, my gp, chiropractor, another gyno, and another general doctor. I had ct done, ultra sound, blood tests, and everything came back perfect. Aslo since that night I have been having these balloons every single night. (It mostly only happens at night, very very rarely in the day.)
My bowel movements have changed, I think I became a little constipated, but I drink a special tea every night to help that.
in the beggining there was only this bloating on right side, and it looked like a long oval tube, and it is hard on the pressure.(it always goes away very quickly).
I also used to sleep on my stomach, but the pressure and pain was preety bad, so now I have to sleep on my side, that way I dont feel anything.
Now about 1-2 months I started having pain, pinching a lot, and sometimes I get such a sharp pain i have to stop walking, and stop and relax. Also, now it seems like this weird ballon have moved to an area around my belly button,( if I turn on my left side, and then lie back on my back)- from the center of the belly button twoards the left side,and it is also very hard, and ONLY noticable when I lie down. Working out made the pain worse, and I tried swimming, and when I first got out of the pool I could hardly walk, the pain was so intense. I have no fever, but I have been very nauseous lately, specialy after I eat. I changed my diet from total vegeterian to eating chicken and turkey, but this all started when I was still a vegeterian. I am trying to find an answer to this all over internet, but I cant find anything similar to my symptoms. I dont know what is wrong with me, I just need to know if this is a condition, a disease or what, and if there is a cure for it.
Could this be IBS? All the doctors I saw said it is probably only gas, nothing serious, but if it's nothing, why is it bothering me so much every day?
Also, the pain is sometimes right under my right rib, and it used to go in my lower right back. The doctor that did and ultra sound checked everything in my abdomen, it was all perfect.
I thank you so much for your help!
IBS is certainly a possibility, considering that all the other tests have been negative.  IBS can make the bowels more sensitive to gas, thus amplifying the feeling of bloating.  

The test I would consider before settling on this diagnosis would be a colonoscopy.  This would make sure an anatomical abnormality or inflammation isn't the cause.

One of the comments below suggested the possibility of ovarian cancer.  This can be considered, however the blood test is not the best way to screen for this disease.  If suspected, you may want to ask for a transvaginal ultrasound to evaluate for ovarian cancer.  

If IBS is the diagnosis, you may want to consider a referral to a GI specialist to optimize treatment.  

Followup with your personal physician is essential.

This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice - the information presented is for patient education only. Please see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.

Thanks,
Kevin, M.D.
Have you seen a GI specialist?  That might be a place to start.
haev you tried extra strength gas x,it is over the counter and neutralise gas in your body.
have you checked for appendicitis??
nuts,corns and seeds have a nasty way of being stuck at the end of the intestine.
I had a friend that was diagnosed with ovarian cancer through a simple blood test. She was misdiagnosed with IBS for years. Ask your doctor for the test. My friend didn't know until it was too late.
GDJ
I have the same symptoms and have had several tests- only Hida scan came back positive- had my gallbladder out and that helped with the right sided pain a little- i still have it (the pinching feeling) but it is not 24 hours a day like before-
Have you had your gallbladder tested? I didn't have stones- but it wasn't emptying properly- it would fill up and not empty quick enough which could cause some of the pain you describe..
I have been told I have IBS too(bloating, gas, constipation) and am on Zelnorm- but none of my problems have subsided-  I can go the bathroom a little quicker then before- that's about it..
Still in pain and feel uncomfortable!! Balloon feeling and bubbly stomach feeling. I go back to GI doc next Monday- so far they've only guessed and haven't helped.
Hi, and thank you so much for all your answers.
Im sorry for not knowing, but what is a GI specialist?

And also, about apedictis - the doctors ruled that out. And I very rarely eat nuts seeds or corn.

Thank you so much to all of you, I will check into everything...
It is just so frustrating not knowing and just guessing what is wrong with your body.

Sonja

gi-gastro intestinal specialist,yes,that witch doctor who looks into the inside of your abdomin (abdomen).
he is hot,so better make your reservation early!
you said you drink tea before you go to bed,what esoteric tea are you drinking.
you may want to surf the  net and find out what food can be bad for acid reflux-tea,coffee,soda,dairy products,nuts,peppermint,spicy food,chocolate and more.
someone even said cucumber is bad news.
I drink chiro-klenz tea, I got it from a chiropractor, and it cleanses you out. We thought maybe that will help my stomach problems, but it didnt. I just drink it now because otherwise I wouldn't go to the bathroom..
It is very good, just herbs, all natural... It doesnt work as good as it should, ( maybe because now I started to eat chicken and less fiber...)
But i dont have any acid reflux...

Thank you for explanation. I will go see this doctor, I think it is my last hope.
Thanks!

Sonja
Yoshi, Is a Gastro- Intestinal specialist the same as a gastroenterologist?

you asked-Yoshi, Is a Gastro- Intestinal specialist the same as a gastroenterologist?
yes,i mean gastroenterologist!!

I was surprised when I read your story.  I have the exact same symptoms and have even passed out from the stomach pain.  It is getting progressively worse.  My OB sent me to a GI specialist and they did an endoscopy and colonoscopy.  I had a CT scan of my abdomen and bloodwork done.  My iron level is low also.  I am waiting for the GI to call me with some biopsy results but they are checking for celiac disease.  Was that ever brought up to you?
A related discussion, burning pinching sensation under my rib was started.