Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Expert Forum
Abdominal pain and stool color
About This Forum:

This is a place to ask questions about digestive problems and receive a personal answer from a highly qualified doctor. You will also find support from other members who share your interest in digestive disorders. Digestive Disorders include: Anal and Rectal problems, Barrett’s Esophagus, Bleeding in the Stomach and Digestive Tract, Constipation, Crohn’s Disease, Gastritis, GERD, Heartburn, Proctitis, Short Bowel Syndrome, Ulcers, Whipple’s Disease, Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome (and many more).

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Abdominal pain and stool color

I have had a return of symptoms that I first suffered two years ago - mild discomfort in mid-upper abdomen often going through to the back and clay-colored stools. Last time I had an endoscopy and CT scan which showed nothing and the symptoms went away. In December last they came back, my doctor first said ulcer and I have been taking Zoton but don't think they make a difference. I am pretty healthy (vegetarian) and active. Last week I went for a cycle training ride after which I had a beer with my club. I felt fine but next morning immediately I went to the toilet I produced about 8 balls of stool which were black in color. Next day I had a normal large stool which was dark brown. Now my stools are back to being large and soft, some of them float and are of a clay color. I still have the abdominal discomfort. I feel ok, no weight loss though I did feel tired last week. I notice that the edges of my ribs are sore and when I am in bed it can be uncomfortable if I am tipped forward so that my stomach kind of hangs towards the front. Could the exercise have made my symptoms worse? Could it be back pain related? What should I ask my doctor to think about? I am female, 50 and about 140 pounds. My father died of lung cancer aged 50 so this is unwelcome and I guess I am worrying about cancer.