Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Expert Forum
Abdominal vibrations

This is a place to ask questions about digestive problems and receive a personal answer from a highly qualified doctor. You will also find support from other members who share your interest in digestive disorders. Digestive Disorders include: Anal and Rectal problems, Barrett’s Esophagus, Bleeding in the Stomach and Digestive Tract, Constipation, Crohn’s Disease, Gastritis, GERD, Heartburn, Proctitis, Short Bowel Syndrome, Ulcers, Whipple’s Disease, Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome (and many more).

Abdominal vibrations

I have an abdominal "vibration" that is hard to localize, but involves the chest and stomach area. The "vibration" is constant and steady (around 10-15 per second). It occcurs every night, sometimes several times, and lasts for up to 30 minutes. Getting out of bed stops it immediately. I have recently had a colonoscopy and gastroscopy which came back negative except for ERD and hiatal hernia which have been treated with protonix for about 6 months. I reported the vibrations to my doctor and have had as a result an EKG, echocardiogram, blood tests and stress test, all of which indicated nothing. I am trying to decide whether it is something I should pursue or ignore. The vibrations are not painful, but they are somewhat disconcerting and do often interfere with sleep. Are the tests that I have had sufficient to rule out anything serious so that I can safely ignore the problem? Thanks for your help.
M.B. I am also experiencing an abdominal vibration at night which always occurs as I drift off to sleep. It awakens me and if I become wide awake it stops. If I continue in a semi-sleep state I am aware of it. It I press on my abdomen with my hand, it stops.  At times I have become so angry at this disturbance that I have slapped at my abdomen and it stops. This response is eerie to me and gives me the impression that it is something other than my own body causing this. A sonagram of the abdomen was negative. My Doctor has diagnosed it as a neuropathy but I don't understand why it only occurs as I drift off to sleep. I can lie in the bed wide awake for several minutes and it will not occur until I start to doze. Any thoughts on this strange happening are welcome.
A related discussion, Viberation in Abdomin (abdomen) was started.
A related discussion, abdominal vibration was started.