Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Expert Forum
About pain in upper left chest area around nipple

This is a place to ask questions about digestive problems and receive a personal answer from a highly qualified doctor. You will also find support from other members who share your interest in digestive disorders. Digestive Disorders include: Anal and Rectal problems, Barrett’s Esophagus, Bleeding in the Stomach and Digestive Tract, Constipation, Crohn’s Disease, Gastritis, GERD, Heartburn, Proctitis, Short Bowel Syndrome, Ulcers, Whipple’s Disease, Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome (and many more).

Yes I read that here that this is sometimes caused by gallstones. My problem is as follows.

I am a 22 year old male and for the past three months I have been haveing slight pain in my upper chest area around and just below the left nipple.  Its like a feeling of fullness and sometimes I have a sharp pain that is on my left side rib area also the fullness normally is below my left nipple a couple inches and to the right a inch or two.  I notice that usally after eating a normal meal brings it about and it usally dont happen to the afternoon.  This has also brought on a little anxiety.  I had a ecg done and it came back normal I had sinus tach due to anxiety at the time of chest pain and also sinus arrythmia.  I was wondering is it possible that I could have a hiatal hernia or maybe gall stones or something.  Something else to add is use to I could eat anything without the acid feeling in my throat and now when I eat pizza or something after eating it I have a burning type feeling in my throat that I use to not have. Also my bowel movements have changed slightly.  The doctor listened to my heart and everything a few months ago when I first told her of my pain and said that everything sounds fine.  My bp runs high about 148/90 which i am currently working on.  Along with this pain now I am haveing problems sleeping.  I also just switched jobs and the job I use to work at I did a substantal amount of lifting.  I am wondering what might be causeing this feeling of fullness and pain I have it at rest when not doing nothing no elevated pulse rate now that Im over the anxiety a little bit.

Any help is appreciated.

THanks
tann
Gallstones are possible, although it typically presents on the right side.  I would also consider the various causes of dyspepsia - including GERD, ulcers or inflammation of the upper digestive tract.  The burning in the throat is suggestive of GERD.

I would suggest an upper GI series or upper endoscopy for further evaluation.  A 24-hr pH study can be considered for further diagnosis.  A blood test for H Pylori - a bacteria associated with ulcers and inflammation - can be considered as well.  

Followup with your personal physician is essential.

This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice - the information presented is for patient education only. Please see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.

Kevin, M.D.
Medical Weblog:
kevinmd_b
Went to the doctor and she thinks I have GERD put me on medication told me to take it for a month and to come back and see if that helps.  She said if it doesnt help then we will go ahead with a upper GI.  My question to anyone is will this ever go away?
A related discussion, upper left chest pain was started.
A related discussion, I know what your going through was started.