Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Expert Forum
Acid Reflux question

This is a place to ask questions about digestive problems and receive a personal answer from a highly qualified doctor. You will also find support from other members who share your interest in digestive disorders. Digestive Disorders include: Anal and Rectal problems, Barrett’s Esophagus, Bleeding in the Stomach and Digestive Tract, Constipation, Crohn’s Disease, Gastritis, GERD, Heartburn, Proctitis, Short Bowel Syndrome, Ulcers, Whipple’s Disease, Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome (and many more).

Acid Reflux question

Hi everyone, just asking for some advice based on my situation.

I was recently diagnosed with acid reflux.  I was given a prescription of Zantac which doesn't seem to help at all. Lately, I have been suffering from loss of sleep, chronic fatigue, lots of gas, sometimes hard to concentrate or focus, and well general anxiety associated with this.  When I try to work out my breathing becomes erratic and I need to stop before I pass out.

My doctor has been running me through the gamut for heart related problems of which all tests are coming back negative. So it does not appear to be my heart.

Anyone else with similar problems that may be able to shed some light on my situation?

I would forever be appreciative of any help.
It is natural to have some anxiety when your body is not feeling well and you are frustrated.
That is great that your doctor is ordering tests to help rule out what it is not. I had a racing heart on the Zantac, Ranitidine and my pharmacist said this is a side effect and with my MVP it was too much.
What has helped ?
Are you able to eat ?
Not much has helped.  I'm at a loss for really finding something that helps.

I am able to eat, however irregularity occurs when I eat badly for a couple of days.  For example, I was away for 2 weeks because of work and was forced to eat differently for that period of time... I was highly irregular due to the fattier foods I was eating and had to reach for a fibre supplement a couple of times.  If I eat those foods which acid reflux patients are supposed to stay away from, like pasta sauce... then I end up getting very bloated.

Fatigue seems to really be a pain though.  I was previously someone who attended the gym 3-5 times a week and was also involved in taking karate lessons 2-3 times a week. I have had to drop all activity because of this... and I am VERY frustrated.
Sounds like you might have a Hiatal Hernia along with your acid reflux.  If Zantac doesn't work well you might ask your doctor about Nexium.  I find it works really well.  Of course I had the Nissen Funduplication surgery for hiatal hernia/acid reflux 6 years ago and it has come undone.  So now I take 2 Nexium every day, but it keeps things under control.  Best of luck to you.
My G.I. Put me on the Brat diet in the beginning :
You can look it up on-line for details
Apples: skinless, bananas, water, rice, soy milk, potatoes, and add some proteins when better.
Your doctor should give you suggestions and if this does not help then like many of us : The tests that will hopefully show the problem. This board is very helpful in Healthy Ideas.
We need to talk. I've experienced the same symptoms the last 4 monthsand have gone through all sorts of testing and was in the hospital once and emergency room twice.

Please e-mail me at ***@****. Maybe we can sort through this together.

Abbey
He only gave you a prescrition of zantac?  why not prilosec or prevacid? there much stronger at reducing stomach acid. I for one cannot tolerate the bloating from prilosec so I take zantac and maalox at the same time for complete relief. I take it in the morning and after lunch. good luck.
I read that you are taking Nexium two times a day. I also am taking Nexium twice a day. I take Nexium 40 mg twice a day. Do you take Nexium 40mg twice a day or Nexium 20mg twice a day? I also have had surgery for reflux, Nissen Fundoplication and two Paraesophageal Hernia repairs and an Endocinch procedure. I am going to have the Endocinch procedure re-done. Endocinch is where they suture up the opening of the stomach and esophagus with an endoscope. It worked for a while but it has come undone. My Nissen Fundoplication never came undone, it has loosened.
This Nissen Fundoplication surgery seems to be only a temporary fix for acid reflux.  Am I correct?
Does the back of your tongue feel raw ?
Could this be from acid heat ?  I even tried Tums while out yesterday and no help. Ate brown rice and water. Read that wheat, corn, so many products can cause GERD. I love apples and bananas and read even fruit if not eaten alone can cause upset.
I have GERD and I am taking Nexium. It caused constipation so I have to take a softener.
I have had acid Reflux for over 5 years.  I have been on every medicine and have had every test done  maybe even twice.  I truely think there is no cure for acid reflux if you have it bad.  My esphogus and stomach is so irrated from constent heart burn.  I think the medicines help a bit, let's put it this way I wouldn't want to see what it is like with out the medicine.  I am a female age 23.  I think acid reflux is more common in young people now because of all the **** we have eaten has kids.  I think caffiene has caused my condition.  When I was in HIgh school I ate like **** and had 3-4 mountian dews a day.  Now I don't even touch pop.  I also think Hormonal issues can have a roll causing heart burn.  At any rate...I think the surgery has side effects and doesn't solve the problem.  I am hoping I will eventually grow out of it.  Let's hope!!
Isha
Hey ISHA,

I'm 23 as well, m.  I agree with you totally on what you just said.  

I'm going to try to stay away from alcohol from now on to see how everything works out.

Thanks for your post.
Hey Corgan.

Here are a list of things that trigger my stomach, I put a * next to the ones you should try to avoid all together.
Caffiene, only one Pop a day if possible or less.*
Chocolate
Beer, drink occassionaly*
Hard alchol***
Onions***
Tomatoes****
Tomatoe sauce, pizza lasanga etc****
Green peppers***
Oranges or orange juice***
Grapefruit***
Nicotine**
Those are the main ones that are truely high in acid or irritate the stomach.
Also don't eat before bed!!  
I hope this helps a bit!
ISHA

I have recently been diagnosed with Reflux laryngitis (GERD).

I have a lump sensation in the bottom of my throat below my adams apple and in between my collar bones.

Does anyone else experience this?

I'm scared that the lump may be a serious condition.

Thanks,

Kent