Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Expert Forum
'Air pocket' in stomach area

This is a place to ask questions about digestive problems and receive a personal answer from a highly qualified doctor. You will also find support from other members who share your interest in digestive disorders. Digestive Disorders include: Anal and Rectal problems, Barrett’s Esophagus, Bleeding in the Stomach and Digestive Tract, Constipation, Crohn’s Disease, Gastritis, GERD, Heartburn, Proctitis, Short Bowel Syndrome, Ulcers, Whipple’s Disease, Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome (and many more).

'Air pocket' in stomach area

Back in February 2001, I went to Cancun, MExico with some friends.  NEedless to say, I was the lucky one that got VERY ill.  I came back with nausea, vomiting and diarhea (diarrhea).  The nausea and vomiting lasted three days.  My bowel movements did not return to "normal" for approximately one month.  Shortly after that I notice what i can only decribe as what feels like an "air pocket" on my left side directly below and behind my bottom rib.  I did get a "Professional" opinion that i felt was ubsurd, one month later.  At this moment i chose NOT to share that 'diagnosis' in it's entirety.  I will say I was told that "my lack of eating fruit in the winter had  something to do with it.  My diet dows NOT change from season to season. It is now June 2001.  Not only is the "packet" still there, but now I feel stabbing and pinching pain, on occasion.  Also when I apply any kind of pressure to the area, I start to cough.  I feel pressure in my abdomen 80-90% of the time.  I have since changed doctors and am awaiting my new appointment.  In the mean time, can anyone give me ANY idea as to what this MIGHT be????
Following up on my quaetion, I have since seen my new doctor.  After the normal poking and prodding,  we (he) discovered that the area on my back directly behind this "pocket" is extremely tender to the touch. He is sending me for a sonogram of my kidney and blood test.  I still would like comments if ANYONE has ANY information on this.  Thank you
i would be very interested in what they say as youv described my symtoms (symptoms) very closely.....im watching this space
Me again.  I had a sonogram today.  Turned up absoltely nothing.  I'm not sure if that is good or bad.  i know there is something definately going on.  Since everything tested normal, what next?????
I hope you are starting to feel better by the time you read this.  My first thought, considering it was a trip out of the country (assuming you are from the US?)...I would consider a simple blood test.  All kinds of weird parasites are happy & thriving in good ole Mexico.  If you get a CBC done you can see if your blood count is out of whack.  
I was wondering where they did the sono.  You mentioned left sided pain, but where EXACTLY?  Liver?  Intestines?  Have they checked pancreatic enzymes?  I think you need a full workup.
Good luck!
& God Bless!
Tallgirlie