Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Expert Forum
Alcohol and upset stomach

This is a place to ask questions about digestive problems and receive a personal answer from a highly qualified doctor. You will also find support from other members who share your interest in digestive disorders. Digestive Disorders include: Anal and Rectal problems, Barrett’s Esophagus, Bleeding in the Stomach and Digestive Tract, Constipation, Crohn’s Disease, Gastritis, GERD, Heartburn, Proctitis, Short Bowel Syndrome, Ulcers, Whipple’s Disease, Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome (and many more).

Alcohol and upset stomach

I am a male 32 years old. 5'11" and 200lbs. Any time I consume more than 3 drinks of alcohol (any type) in an evening, I have an extremely upset stomach the following day. The symptoms include: nausea (lightheadedness),fatigue, shortness of breath, gas, stomach churning, bloating, constipation and or diarrhea. The episode lasts around 24 hours. This did not begin to occur until about 9 months ago. I typically have 2 glasses of wine a night with more on the weekends. I have had an endoscopy, (normal results with mild gastritis). CT scan of the abdomin (abdomen) (normal), full blood work, (normal with the exception of a slightly elevated liver enzyme.) In researching this problem, I have found that my symptoms most closely resemble Irritable Bowel Syndrome. Any ideas on how to prevent and or treat this sensation, other than the obvious decrease in consumption of alcohol?
The gastritis that was diagnosed can lead to your symptoms.  The upper endoscopy has already been done - which is a pretty comprehensive test.  You may also want to consider blood tests to look for H Pylori - which is sometimes associated with gastritis.  Antibiotic therapy to treat this would help with the symptoms.

As for IBS, this can be considered if other causes have been ruled out.  Increasing the fiber in the diet is the normal initial treatment.  If the symptoms continue, antidepressant therapy, antibiotics (like Rifaximin) and antispasmodic agents can all be tried.

These options should be discussed with your personal physician, or in conjunction with a gastroenterologist.

Followup with your personal physician is essential.

This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice - the information presented is for patient education only. Please see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.

Kevin, M.D.
kevinmd_
In addition to the information above, I failed to mention that I was tested for Celiac's disease as well and it came back negative.
you dont say what your drinking, try something else like real ale, or beer, wine. if nothing works then you already said the obvious.
thanks for the comment. I have tried just drinking beer, just wine, just vodka, etc... I have not tried "real ale." It seems that any type of alcohol after about 2 drinks will irritate my stomach. I am beginning to believe that I have gastritis which is unable to heal because I continue to consume alcohol. I am currently abstaining from alcohol for a month to 6 wks. to see if that gives my stomach lining a chance to heal. Any other ideas are much appreciated!
Before I was ill and diagnosed with crohn's colitis I was severly sick. In the hopsital for 11 days. I used to drink alot of wine. Since being sick, there have only been a few times where I've gotten brave enough to drink. Every time that I would, most times(a few), I would be ok, but that was about 2 years ago. Any how since then only on a rare occasion I will have to try a sip or two to see how it's going to make me feel and makes me fell ughy! Makes my face all hot and my insides burn. So needless to say I have given up even trying to have a drink or two. No more, my body won't allow it! Maybe you should just give up and listen to your body. I know it's hard but sometimes we just have to do what's best for us. I do miss socializing like I used to and escaping sometimes but I've found other things to do. I am constantly doing craft things and making family photo's with computer programs. Really does help. Besides that, I hurt all the time and I cna't do much else so I do what makes me happy and feel good inside. I'm always smiling, like I am right now except I'm gettin a cramp in my hand from typing but if I don't keep myself occupied with things I think too much about what is wrong with me. And I can't leave the Lord out of this at all. He has been my shoulder thru it all!

God bless and I hope you feel better soon,

KentuckyBeMommaw/Christina
Idk but a few nights ago pretty much yesterday I had like maybe 10 shots if not more and no more than 15 but my stomach feels like **** I don't know if I'm hungry or it just hurts for no reason . But get this its been almost 24 hrs wtf do I do
A related discussion, allergies was started.