Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Expert Forum
Alcoholism and Elevated GGT / GGPT
About This Forum:

This is a place to ask questions about digestive problems and receive a personal answer from a highly qualified doctor. You will also find support from other members who share your interest in digestive disorders. Digestive Disorders include: Anal and Rectal problems, Barrett’s Esophagus, Bleeding in the Stomach and Digestive Tract, Constipation, Crohn’s Disease, Gastritis, GERD, Heartburn, Proctitis, Short Bowel Syndrome, Ulcers, Whipple’s Disease, Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome (and many more).

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Alcoholism and Elevated GGT / GGPT

I would appreciate it very much if you would answer my question(s).

My ex-husband is an alcoholic who has recently set up a court date to see our 7 and 4 year old children overnight.  I need some proof that he is drinking which I suspect for the court hearing so he does not have overnight visits 3 hours away.  A nurse at his previous Chemically Dependent treatment center suggested having him take 2 liver panel and GGPT tests a week apart.  If his GGPT went up, then he'd been drinking, if he hadn't been drinking, then it would stay the same or go down.

I do not have the test in front of me (which also contain his SGOT and SGPT levels), but his first GGPT was 32 and his second was 63.

1. He claims the test went up this high because he was taking Doan's Back Pills for his back pain.  These are made of magnesium salicylate.  Could it go up 30 points in one week because of this?

2.  Could it go up 30 points because he was taking an NSAID such as Motrin?  He did not mention it but I researched it based on info I found on this site and other places on the internet.

3.  Is it possible that he did not take the first test?  The lab had him marked as a female.  My ex-husband claims this must've been an accident.  The hospital has no idea.

4.  Do you think he did in fact drink during this time?