Ammonia Odor in Stool
I am 31 yrs. old, very active and try to eat well. I recently had an episode where there was a very strong ammonia odor present during bowel movements.

I had my last blood test appoximately 6 mos. ago and all levels were normal.

What could possibly be the cause of this odor?  What actions should I take?

I am not aware of disease that can cause an ammonia odor in the stool.  

The most common ammonia-related disease is with chronic kidney disease leading it an ammonia-like breath smell.  Sometimes urine that sits for awhile can smell like ammonia - thus any possible fistula (i.e. abnormal connection) between the bowels and urinary system can possibly lead to stools smelling like ammonia.  

Another consideration may be fetor hepaticus - a distinctive, sweel breath smell that is associated with severe liver disease.  Again, I cannot make a connection with the stool.  

Followup with your personal physician is essential.

This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice - the information presented is for patient education only. Please see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.

Kevin, M.D.
Medical Weblog:
kevinmd_b
Doctor Ratings & Reviews
Who are the top-rated Gastroenterologist in your area?