Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Expert Forum
Anal Bleeding

This is a place to ask questions about digestive problems and receive a personal answer from a highly qualified doctor. You will also find support from other members who share your interest in digestive disorders. Digestive Disorders include: Anal and Rectal problems, Barrett’s Esophagus, Bleeding in the Stomach and Digestive Tract, Constipation, Crohn’s Disease, Gastritis, GERD, Heartburn, Proctitis, Short Bowel Syndrome, Ulcers, Whipple’s Disease, Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome (and many more).

Anal Bleeding

In the past, I have had very slight streaks of blood on the toliet paper afer a bowel movement.  Just recently, I have noticed a significant amount of blood when a bowel movement takes place.  This has happened a total of 3 times now, within the past week.  (each time I had a bowel movement)  The blood drips out every time I squeeze my cheeks.  When I go to wipe, the toliet paper comes out clean, except for a significant amount of blood on it.  I know that something is wrong due to the amount of blood during bowel movements.  There is no pain, constipation, or discomfort... just stump and blood.  What is wrong with me?
Rectal bleeding is never normal.  Hemorrhoids or an anal fissure is the most common reason.  However, depending on your age, you may want to consider a lower endoscopy for further evaluation.  Things like a polyp, cancer, diverticulosis or inflammatory bowel disease can also lead to rectal bleeding.

You may want to discuss this option with your personal physician.

Followup with your personal physician is essential.

This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice - the information presented is for patient education only. Please see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.

Kevin, M.D.
Medical Weblog:
kevinmd_b
By the way, I am only 19 years old
at your age, the most likely diagnosis by far is hemorrhoids. Constipation, requiring straining at stool, is the most common cause; but some people with perfectly easy bowel movements can get them, too. It's best to have a checkup to be sure what's going on, since online diagnosis is of limited accuracy. But meanwhile, don't be too worried.
For the last 4 days I have had signifigant amount of diarehha. But thats not the problem when I go to the bathroom I fill the toilet bowl up with diarehha and blood. Lots of blood. Even when I wipe there is a lot of blood on there. I am feeling lighthead and dizzy and weak. Now I went to the E.R and they ran a test to see if it tested positive for blood and it did. But they sent me home and told me to see a specialist. Problem is I dont have insurance so no doctor would see me without payment up front. All I want to know is if this is serious or not? Please some help I am in pain and I dont think I can handle another trip to the toilet.
I have been having the same problem I am a 24yr old Diabetic since 12 on pills not insulin. Most of the time when I have bowel movments there is a little discomfort and a little bllod but I know that amount of blood is not usual to have when having  a bowel movement. Does any one have any suggestions?
A related discussion, Spots of Blood was started.