Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Expert Forum
Anal Burning whats causing it?

This is a place to ask questions about digestive problems and receive a personal answer from a highly qualified doctor. You will also find support from other members who share your interest in digestive disorders. Digestive Disorders include: Anal and Rectal problems, Barrett’s Esophagus, Bleeding in the Stomach and Digestive Tract, Constipation, Crohn’s Disease, Gastritis, GERD, Heartburn, Proctitis, Short Bowel Syndrome, Ulcers, Whipple’s Disease, Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome (and many more).

Anal Burning whats causing it?

For the last 6 months i have had moderate to severe burning in and around my rectum.The skin just inside my rectum has became very "raw". The conditon seems to worsen 30 minutes to an hour after a bowel movement.And last all day ,the condition feels like i am scalded and actually feels like i am burnt.It is very painful physically and mentally i am limited to what i can do..I dread to have a bowel movement. I am a 27 year old heterosexual male in good condition.Also i have been to 3 different Doctors about this condition.One of which diagnosed it as Proctitus and gave me anusol hc supp.and flagyl 4 times a day fo 10 days. which helped at first.Then symptoms came back and i went to the second Dr.In which made a diagonosis of internal hemorrhoids but never examined me for such..Which i dont believe i have anyway..The third Dr. made a diagonosis of external hemorrhoids "In which i have had and i cant feel or see anything that looks or feels like hemorrhoids"and which at that time prescribed proctosol cream and told me to keep myself very clean and dry in my rectal area.I have done exactly what i was told to do.And it helped for about 3 weeks and im back to the painful burning no matter what i do.sometimes i have some very mild itching..Could it be something else? Any sugestions?  Please help..
Dear S.,
Possible causes for rectal burning include: fissure (tear in the anal canal), hemorrhoidal disease, proctitis or dermatitis of the skin (secondary to excessive moisture,  irritant soaps or clothing) or psoriasis. The best  specialist to see for guidance in this matter would be a colorectal surgeon.
This response is being provided for general informational purposes only and should not be considered medical advice or consultation. Always check with your personal physician when you have a question pertaining to your health.
If you would like to be seen at our institution please call 1-800-653-6568 our Referring Physicians' Office and make an appointment to see Dr. Eggenberger one of our expert Colorectal Surgeons.
HFHSM.D.-ym
*Keywords: anal burning, differential diagnosis

_