Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Expert Forum
Anemia

This is a place to ask questions about digestive problems and receive a personal answer from a highly qualified doctor. You will also find support from other members who share your interest in digestive disorders. Digestive Disorders include: Anal and Rectal problems, Barrett’s Esophagus, Bleeding in the Stomach and Digestive Tract, Constipation, Crohn’s Disease, Gastritis, GERD, Heartburn, Proctitis, Short Bowel Syndrome, Ulcers, Whipple’s Disease, Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome (and many more).

Anemia

Does anyone know much about anemia?
I have been anemic now for 4 years.  As low as 8 and never coming up over 100.  I have been on an off iron pills for 2 years.  I have a b12 deficiency.  A lot of problems with my heart, although the heart specialist after all this time now figure it is being caused by the anemic state.  He says my mcv's are elevated which is now a sign of actual deficiency.  I also have experienced a lot of neuro symptoms and am wondering if anemia could possibly be causing those symptoms as well.

He says I need to be followed up by an anemia specialist.  Could you tell me what they would be looking for or if you have any ideas as to what could be the cause of this ongoing problem and if in fact it can effect the heart, neuro and cause all these problems?

I thank you in advance for your reponse.
Chronic anemia can be difficult to diagnose.  If by neuro problems you mean dizziness etc...anemia can definitely cause this.  Has internal bleeding been ruled out??  This would be done via endoscopy, small bowel series, and colonoscopy.  If all looks good you may need ct scan with contrast or even explorative laporscopy.  Finally if all is o.k. you should seek the assistance of a good hemotologist.  Hope this helps.
Hi Doug:
Thanks for the posting. It looks like I'm in for a few more tests as I've had no work up done as of yet by an internalist.
My neuro symptoms are most weakness in my extremeties, my arms fall asleep on my very easily all throughout the day. Some dizziness but mainly bending over or going from a sitting to standing position quickly.
Do you know if 97 is a danger area or just something mild?
Also since I've been on iron pills for the last 2 years with no luck and increased red meat and greens in my diet have you any ideas how I can possibly help myself with this problem?
Also since you seem to know what you're talking about here can you tell me if the anemia causes b12 deficiency or is it the other way around and b12 deficiency causes the anemia or are they even related?
Thanks for all your help. It's nice to have someone to talk to about your problems.