Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Expert Forum
Anusitis

This is a place to ask questions about digestive problems and receive a personal answer from a highly qualified doctor. You will also find support from other members who share your interest in digestive disorders. Digestive Disorders include: Anal and Rectal problems, Barrett’s Esophagus, Bleeding in the Stomach and Digestive Tract, Constipation, Crohn’s Disease, Gastritis, GERD, Heartburn, Proctitis, Short Bowel Syndrome, Ulcers, Whipple’s Disease, Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome (and many more).

Anusitis
After what initially was deemed to be a case of Hemorroides; I've been diagnosed with a condition named Anusitis(irritation of the skin around the anal opening that causes pain, burning and blood on toilet paper at. It was advised by the specialist that diagnosed me to have a Colonoschopy done to ensure that there was no risk of Colon Cancer. Having ruled this out, I was advised to drastically alter my diet. I have followed the directions to a "T", encreasing fiber and exercise while avoiding certain food groups. Well, its been five months since I've been making changes in my eating habits and the symtoms(pain, irritation after each BM, combined with a lot of gas and bloating) have encreased. Needles to say that this is really having an impact in my work and social life.

Is there anything else I can do?. I would appreciate any input.

Thank you
If conservative measures - such as dietary changes and Sitz baths - are not helping, you may want to consider a surgical referral to see if anything definitive can be done.  In the case of hemorrhoids or an anal fissure, there are procedures that can help with the symptoms.

If the cause is determined to be dermatological in nature, then a referral to a dermatologist can be considered to help treat the inflammation.  

These options can be discussed with your personal physician.

Followup with your personal physician is essential.

This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice - the information presented is for patient education only. Please see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.

Kevin, M.D.
kevinmd_
That must be hard to live with. I'd ask your doc for further treatment right away. I'd also ask for a referral to a specialist for a second opinion as to the course of treatment. I'd continue with the improved diet plan but it seems like you also need a more aggressive treatment as your symptoms are not improving.
Hi..

I'm 53 and recently got anusitis..I too thought it was rhoids but it's not

The most common cause of anusitis is the diet. Coffee, cola, beer, spicy food and garlic are the biggest offenders.

Cut these out and it will clear up..adding fibre won't make a difference if you keep eating onions/garlic and drink coffee..Tea is fine..

Good luck

A related discussion, advice on exactly what foods to eat was started.