Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Expert Forum
Anxiety, Nausea, and Prevacid

This is a place to ask questions about digestive problems and receive a personal answer from a highly qualified doctor. You will also find support from other members who share your interest in digestive disorders. Digestive Disorders include: Anal and Rectal problems, Barrett’s Esophagus, Bleeding in the Stomach and Digestive Tract, Constipation, Crohn’s Disease, Gastritis, GERD, Heartburn, Proctitis, Short Bowel Syndrome, Ulcers, Whipple’s Disease, Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome (and many more).

Anxiety, Nausea, and Prevacid

I had a heart scare two months ago that turned out to be okay but since have had a LOT of daily anxiety, worse in the mornings. My Psych Dr. Has tried several different SSRI medicines and I had to stop after just a few doses of each due to severe side effects such as nausea, pains in stomach, headaches, etc. (Effexor, Lexapro, and Paxil). I am currently taking Xanax every day to cope.

About one month ago I started getting really bad nausea with stomach pain, it would generally settle in around breakfast time, peak after eating, then come and go through the afternoon. Usually by mid evening it is completely gone and I feel great only to repeat the whole ordeal the next day. I went to an Urgent Care and they told me I had gastritis from the SSRIs & previous moderate long-term Ibuprofen usage. They put me on Prevacid 30MG day.

After a week no improvement so I went to a Gastroenterologist and they ran an Upper GI series on me, determined that they didn
Although possible, nausea is not a common side effect of Prevacid.  Anxiety certainly can cause GI symptoms, although you may want to ensure there is no GI problems first.  An upper endoscopy (which is a comprehensive test of the upper digestive tract) as well as a 24-hr pH study (the definitive test for GERD) can be considered for further evaluation.

If the nausea continues despite non-revealing test, you can consider more specialized tests, such as a gastric emptying scan looking for gastroparesis, can be considered and discussed with your personal physician.

Also if it hasn't been done yet, an H Pylori test (a bacteria associated with ulcers and inflammation) should be considered.

Followup with your personal physician is essential.

This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice - the information presented is for patient education only. Please see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.

Kevin, M.D.
Medical Weblog:
kevinmd_b
you ask if prevacid can cause nausea??
yes,if prevacid shut down too much of your stomach acid and you dont have enough to digest food.
I just wanted to tell you, I feel similiar.  And wonder the same thing...about the anxiety thing causing the problems.

I don't get nauseated all the time, but I constantly feel like I have a sour stomach.  I have had 2 upper gi's, blood work & gallbladder ultrasound.  I do have anxiety & take Xanax as needed.  (1-2 mil. per week).  I know that I can" think" myself into feeling bad.  

When I am working I feel great, or when I am concentrating on something, I don't think about how crappy I feel...I hate to say "It's all in the head", because even though I sometimes feel fine if I don't think about it... I also have physical symptoms like gurgling stomach, horrible gas, diareah, or nausea...that truly does happen.

I believe that people who suffer from any type of anxiety will trigger the tummy.  Hence the words..."nervous stomach".  
It can & will cause you to have Irretable Bowel Syndrome/ (the condition all docs chaulk up when all other tests come back normal).  

I have looked at all these message boards, and been to the doctor for this repeatedly...It's as though I want them to find something wrong, so I will feel like, "I knew this wasn't in my head".  

I don't want to say I am addicted to the xanax, because I certainley don't take it every day, and don't need it for every hour of my life, but I will take it if I feel bad, and it helps.  And I have read many message board topics on it, and I haven't read anything wrong with taking it as necessary, as long as it does not become addictive.

I am not suggesting it is the answer, but I think the worse I feel, the more doctors tell me I am fine... the more anxiety I get....It's a viscous circle.

I hope you will start to feel better soon!!!
i was on prevacid,prilosec,nexxium for months,now i will take prilosev if necessary.
Every day,i watch what i eat and avoid food which could trigger problems and try not to eat after 6 pm.
Keep track of what you eat during the day-spicy food,greasy food,chocolate,peppermint,nuts,cream,cheese,any dairy products,caffeine,soda.
Thanks Yoshi & Planetmars for the feedback.

I actually fired my Psych Dr and found a new Dr., highly recommended. Since he changed my meds and has me tapering from the Prevacid I am feeling better. Not only has my mood changed but I feel much less stomach problems too.

I am really starting to believe my problem was more stress than Prevacid, but I must admit that as I taper off the Prevacid I am feeling a little less dizzy/nausea and in general just feel better. The fewer meds I have to take the better off I think I may be. It can be a viscous circle.

Thanks again!!
I took Xanax for the first time last week when I had chest pains that I thought were panic attacks. I only took half a Xanax and vomited for 2 days straight. I have taken prevacid for duodenitus and in one month I was cured and I did not feel sick at all. I am taking it again because I think these chest pains may be stomach acid
A related discussion, anxiety was started.