Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Expert Forum
Appendix and Crohn's

This is a place to ask questions about digestive problems and receive a personal answer from a highly qualified doctor. You will also find support from other members who share your interest in digestive disorders. Digestive Disorders include: Anal and Rectal problems, Barrett’s Esophagus, Bleeding in the Stomach and Digestive Tract, Constipation, Crohn’s Disease, Gastritis, GERD, Heartburn, Proctitis, Short Bowel Syndrome, Ulcers, Whipple’s Disease, Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome (and many more).

Appendix and Crohn's
Posted By Kate on September 16, 1998 at 16:24:45:

Since the birth of my son 8 months ago, I have suffered from diahrrea.  In July, I had my appendix removed and the diahrrea has become worse.  I am fine for a week or two, and then I get terrible cramps and feel the urge to have a bowel movement.  I may have four or five movements in the morning.  The first and second will be a normal movement, with the rest getting progressively looser.  I worry because my sister has Crohn's disease and I have heard that Crohn's symptoms can mimic an appendix attack.  Would the surgeon have told me if the appendix had turned out to be 'normal'?  I believe the appendicitis was diagnosed by an MRI.  Would the MRI or surgery have show the Crohn's Disease?
I have been to family doctor who prescribed an antibiotic as well as Flagyl (which I havent taken yet).  He recommended further tests if it does not clear up soon.
Any advice would be welcome!