Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Expert Forum
BACK PAIN AND STOMACH PAIN

This is a place to ask questions about digestive problems and receive a personal answer from a highly qualified doctor. You will also find support from other members who share your interest in digestive disorders. Digestive Disorders include: Anal and Rectal problems, Barrett’s Esophagus, Bleeding in the Stomach and Digestive Tract, Constipation, Crohn’s Disease, Gastritis, GERD, Heartburn, Proctitis, Short Bowel Syndrome, Ulcers, Whipple’s Disease, Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome (and many more).

BACK PAIN AND STOMACH PAIN

A week and a half ago I started getting a pain in my upper stomach and mid back. It came on suddenly. During the day I was feeling fine and towards the end of the day it seemed like I had to have a bowel movement. I was at work so was unable to go to the bathroom.As the evning progressed the pain in my stomach got worse. As I was driving home the pain was intense and was making me naseous and Iw as getting chills. That same evening my mid back started hurting but after the pain in my stomach started. I got home went to the bathroom just fine. And there was not an odd color to the poop or anything. Pain was still there. The next day pain in stomach and mid back still there but not quite as intense. Third day it was intense as soon as I woke up. Was getting chills again. Went to the doctor on fourth day. Saw the nurse practioner who said she thought it might be H Pylori. I had multiple tests done - sonogram, abdominal xrays, urine test, fecal test. all came back negative. There was very little blood in urine and none in fecal test. The xray (which was a barium swallow SP?) showed a little inflammation. She is wanting to do another test, am not sure what it is called, its when a camera is sent to your stomach via throat. She gave me some prevacid samples which does nothing for me. I have no problems with urinatnig or bowel movements. Sometimes while sitting down i will get sharp pain like I just ran 10 miles but that will only last for a few minutes.  I dont know what else to add...  When i sleep at night if i stay on either side all night then the pain gets better but as soon as i wake up and start moving the dull gnawing pain in mid back comes back along with pain in upper stomach. Also i have a back massager that i will use on my back just under my ribcage and it helps tremendously but after about five minutes pain comes back. Please Help.
The test that is being suggested is an upper endoscopy - and I agree with this approach.

This is a more comprehensive test than the barium test, and can look further for ulcers, inflammation or GERD.

If negative, a 24-hr pH study or gastric emptying scan can be considered looking further for GERD and delayed gastric emptying respectively.  

If negative, imaging the abdomen can be done with a CT scan or ultrasound, which can look for problems with the liver, gallbladder or pancreas.

Followup with your personal physician is essential.

This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice - the information presented is for patient education only. Please see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.

Kevin, M.D.
kevinmd_