Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Expert Forum
Back Spasms and Chest Pain

This is a place to ask questions about digestive problems and receive a personal answer from a highly qualified doctor. You will also find support from other members who share your interest in digestive disorders. Digestive Disorders include: Anal and Rectal problems, Barrett’s Esophagus, Bleeding in the Stomach and Digestive Tract, Constipation, Crohn’s Disease, Gastritis, GERD, Heartburn, Proctitis, Short Bowel Syndrome, Ulcers, Whipple’s Disease, Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome (and many more).

Back Spasms and Chest Pain

I had  two Nissen surgies within the last 4 years.  The first was 1997 and after 24 hr.probe and various tests,  I begged the  doctor to reoperate due to excessive pain.  He agreed and found a diaphamic hernia which was pushing into my wrap which never showed up on tests.  This was 1999.  Last year 9/00  I started having severe back spasms.  I went back to the doctors and was given some medication to relax my esophagus. It  worked for a while.  Now everyday, whether I eat or not I am experiencing regular back spasms, burning in the chest and a dull pain where I had surgery.  I had repeated upper GI, endoscopy, the tube  through my nose and now they want to repeat the 24 hour probe test which I found unbearable and each time they found the test to be negative.  I am very tired and feel like a guinea pig at this point.  I am 42 years old.  What are the risks of having the surgery reversed?  Is it possible for me to totally change my diet and no longer have symptoms?  I can't lose weight right now (198 lbs/5'4) due to so much back pain because it has affected my  quality of life. Also with repeated symptoms am I running a risk of more serious problems in the future?  I really need some suggestions right now.  I will have a stress test as suggested by the doctor,but the back pain and burning is really bad.  I have taken propulsid, prevacid, levson and other medicines and none seem to help.  What are my  options at this point and do you recommend any doctors in my area that are familiar with my problems and have other suggestions other than the normal route other doctors are taking.  Thank you for your time.
I can relate. I had a Nissen done in March of this year. I have been in agony ever since. I have some of your symptoms. About 15 to 45 minutes after I eat I hurt in the gut of my stomach thru to my back. Feels like spasms and will hurt continous until I can lay down. Usually laying down helps. I always have headaches with the pain. I have had all kinds of test and all come up negative. I have lost 15 lbs. I am small on average 122 but now I weigh 105 and don't see me gaining any time soon. I can't eat hardly anything without the pain. It's usually worse in the afternoon once my stomach gets fuller ( I guess). I am in the process of finding out if I can have mine reversed also. Before the surgery I only had to take Prilosec and I was fine. But due to the size of the hernia I had the Dr's thought I would benefit from the surgery. Now I have about 8 different pills to take for the pain. I am miserable and depressed. I enjoyed life so much before and now I can't even go out to eat. I would like to keep up with you and your progress and I will tell you what I find out about the reversal. My gastro Dr. told me that it couldn't be done but I haven't talked to the surgeon that done the surgery yet. I just know I can't live like this forever.
Could you tell me what medications they gave you for the spasms?  Thanx...Cindy