Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Expert Forum
Bad taste

This is a place to ask questions about digestive problems and receive a personal answer from a highly qualified doctor. You will also find support from other members who share your interest in digestive disorders. Digestive Disorders include: Anal and Rectal problems, Barrett’s Esophagus, Bleeding in the Stomach and Digestive Tract, Constipation, Crohn’s Disease, Gastritis, GERD, Heartburn, Proctitis, Short Bowel Syndrome, Ulcers, Whipple’s Disease, Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome (and many more).

Bad taste

My husband has had a rotten meat smell and taste in his mouth when he burps for several weeks now. This occurs only when he burps. He says that the smell and tase are quite definitely that of rotten meat.

I don't know if this is related but, about two years ago he had very bad lower right abdomial (abdominal) pain (about three inches from the bottom of his ribcage.) He was given an ultrasound and nothing was found. That pain was constant for about three months and seemed to be worsened by eating, then it suddenly went away.

This also may not be related but I will include it. He had frostbite in his sinus about four years ago and now has recurrent sinus infections and problems with healing in his nose, he has been using bactroban nasal for that for about a week now.

He is a truck driver and spends alot of time sitting, but is very active when he is out of the truck, and is not overweight; he smokes occasionally, about 3 cigarettes a day and drinks alcohol rarely.

Because he is out on the road so much it is hard to make appointments, therefore we generally use a local urgent care center and see a different doctor each time. Because of that I would like to have some information beforehand, and a good idea of what the doctor will need to know; and to hopefully be able expidite the diagnosis.

I am really curious as to the possible causes of this rotten meat taste and smell.

Thank you.
Esophageal reflux would be the most common cause of this symptom.  You can also consider things like poor dental hygeine, which can cause malodorous breath as well.

I would consider an upper GI series to evaluate for GERD or a hiatal hernia (which can exacerbate the reflux).  If negative, a 24-hr pH study can be considered for a more definitive diagnosis.  

If GERD is present, treatment with a proton-pump inhibitor (i.e. Prilosec) or H2 blocker (i.e. Zantac or Pepcid) can be considered.

These options can be discussed with your personal physician.

Followup with your personal physician is essential.

This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice - the information presented is for patient education only. Please see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.

Kevin, M.D.
Medical Weblog:
kevinmd_b
could be what he eats and drinks on the road,better test for hector pylori bacteria,this can be done by breath test in doctor's office.
Please urge your husband to have a doctor look down his esophagus with an endoscope.  My father began having horrific smelling burps last month.  Turns out he has inoperable esophageal cancer that has already metastacized to multiple places in his liver.  The rotten burps were his only symptom!!!!!Good luck and God bless, Gidgit