Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Expert Forum
Belching! ( Taste like rotten eggs!)

This is a place to ask questions about digestive problems and receive a personal answer from a highly qualified doctor. You will also find support from other members who share your interest in digestive disorders. Digestive Disorders include: Anal and Rectal problems, Barrett’s Esophagus, Bleeding in the Stomach and Digestive Tract, Constipation, Crohn’s Disease, Gastritis, GERD, Heartburn, Proctitis, Short Bowel Syndrome, Ulcers, Whipple’s Disease, Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome (and many more).

Belching! ( Taste like rotten eggs!)

Hi... here I am again! I'm so glad that I happened upon this web site! Ok my question is has anyone ever belched and it tasted and smelled like rotten eggs! If so what is this and what can I do to prevent it? When this happens my tummy is upset somewhat and I belch nonstop for about a day and then it may return. Doesn't happen a lot but have noticed that I have had this happen for yrs. I can remember having it happen even as early as about 12 yrs of age and I'm now 29. Doesn't seem to follow after any certain meals just seems to happen whenever!
Hope someone has heard of this and can help,
Thanks so much,
Christine.
1 Comment
Hi, I've been there too, exactly what you discribe. Mine lasted from age 18 to about 38. I also developed diarrhea with it.  I learned the hard way that if I fasted, then the symptoms would go away faster, but if I kept on eating I would really get sick.   I wonder if it is giardia - you get that from drinking water.  I haven't had it for more than 10 years now.  Got rid of it accidently, when we were on a holiday the symptoms came but I was also developing a head cold. I didn't want a cold  during my holiday, so in frustration I took some big doses of Vit C.  My rotten egg burps disappeared and never returned. My daughter also had it; I gave her the vit. C during one of her episodes and she has never had it again either. I guess the bug doesn't like acid.
A related discussion, why i belchh taste of rotten eggs was started.
A related discussion, belching sulphur was started.