Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Expert Forum
Bile Acid

This is a place to ask questions about digestive problems and receive a personal answer from a highly qualified doctor. You will also find support from other members who share your interest in digestive disorders. Digestive Disorders include: Anal and Rectal problems, Barrett’s Esophagus, Bleeding in the Stomach and Digestive Tract, Constipation, Crohn’s Disease, Gastritis, GERD, Heartburn, Proctitis, Short Bowel Syndrome, Ulcers, Whipple’s Disease, Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome (and many more).

Bile Acid

I had my gallbladder taken out in July 2002.  I started having chest pains in December 2002, so I went to my cardiologist and he did the heart cath on me...everything was clear..no blockage.  He said I needed to have my stomach checked out.  January 28, 2003 I had the Upper GI done (scope down the throat) and the doctor said that I had bile in my stomach and said it shouldn't be there.  This is stuff that is stored in the gallbladder.  If it is stored in the gallbladder and I don't have a gallbladder how could it be getting into my stomach?  Could someone please help me with this.  My doctor is waiting on 2 biopsies that he took when he performed the Upper GI..but I won't know the results for 2 weeks.  Help me please on this.
From what I understand about bile getting into the stomach, I was told that if the pylorus muscle has been weakened and remains in an open position it can allow the bile to seep back into the stomach.  If this is causing inflammation in the stomach the biopsy would detect if H.Pylori bacteria is responsible. I believe that if it is causing problems in the stomach it can be corrected with acid reducers or surgery.
I am already on Prevecid for the acid reflux.  This is not helping with the chest pains.  It helps with the heartburn but that's it.  Does this mean that I would need surgery if the Prevecid is not helping?
Unfortunately you and I are in the same position.  I have chronic chest pain that acid reducers do nothing to aleviate.  Unless there is a significant problem with the lining of the stomach or esophagus, they usually don't recommend surgery. If a patient insists on having the surgery, I'm sure they will consider it, however I have almost resigned myself to living with this condition as I do not want anymore surgeries. I am pursuing alternative methods of treatment.  You may want more invasive studies done such as ercp to further determine the cause.
I have had problems since my gallbladder was taken out 1 1/2 years ago.  From the beginning I had alot of bile in my stools.  My doctor said that my body would adjust but it would take time.  Recently though I woke up with pain in my upper right side which got steadily worse.  The pain was unbearable.  I also felt like I was going to get sick.  I took a pill (Levsin) for abdominal pain and 20 minutes later it went away.  I had diahria with large amounts of bile in it the rest of the day.  My stomach was also very loud gurgly sounding.  Four days later the same thing happened again.  What are your sypmtoms?  Food doesn't seem to trigger this.
I had my gallbladder out last month (1/24/03), and had the same problem two days later. I tried Aciphex and Prilosec but they didn't work. Tried Tagamet and had problems. Then the specialist put me on Reglan (4xday). It seems to help, but food is my problem though. If I eat anything (even just toast) after 7 at night, I am in big trouble all night with the burning and pain. The gastro. told me to eat about 6 x day to see how that works, rather than try a large amount of food at one sitting. Have you tried this? I eat tiny bits of food at a bit, with no fat or spices.