Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Expert Forum
Black stool???

This is a place to ask questions about digestive problems and receive a personal answer from a highly qualified doctor. You will also find support from other members who share your interest in digestive disorders. Digestive Disorders include: Anal and Rectal problems, Barrett’s Esophagus, Bleeding in the Stomach and Digestive Tract, Constipation, Crohn’s Disease, Gastritis, GERD, Heartburn, Proctitis, Short Bowel Syndrome, Ulcers, Whipple’s Disease, Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome (and many more).

Black stool???

I was wondering if anyone could tell me what black stool is like.  I know its black, (lol), but i'm not sure about what the tarry means.   I just had REALLY dark stool, pretty close to black, but it was hard, not tarry.  I'm not sure if is should be concerned.  I was having red blood in my stool up until a couple of weeks ago, but the sigmoidoscopy found nothing.  I'm waiting for a full colonoscopy in september.  I know that black stool means that you're bleeding higher up in the gastrointestinal tract, but its usually described as tarry.  This is hard, some looks kind of like pellets. Sorry to be so gross!!  Any response would be appreciated.  I guess i'm trying to find out if this is from constipation or bleeding.
Get your butt to Dr. for the colon scope test. That's how my
husbands colon problems started!!!! Black stools, means there is
blood coming from higher up..and is nothing to fool with!!!
what did your husband end up having if you don't mind me asking??  Also, my stool isn't tarry and smelly like melena is usually described as.  Its rather hard, dark, really dry pieces of stool.
opps, i'm soooooo sorry. i just saw your post under mine.  I'm so sorry about your husband :-(
Redd, have you ever heard of the Colon cancer Alliance??  You really should look up on it.  Its a site on the net that is for people with colon cancer, and i believe that there is groups for family of people with colon cancer.  There you can hopefully ask questions about your husband with people who are dealing with what you are or people who have been through it.  A lot of people on this forum don't know what is wrong with themselves yet, so they may not be able to answer your question about your husband because a most people probably haven't had to deal with that.  Your husband will be able to talk with people going through the same illness as well.  My prayers are with you!!!!!!!
Thanks Katey for your prayers. Guess I answered you to quick..
w/o giving you the rest of the info. The story is that he had light red blood on tissue, but black stools..he called them
'b-b's', as hard, no tarry looking stuff. His stool culture showed the black blood also (turned immediately)so was scheduled
for the colonoscopy on his 53 bday. They couldn't get in due to having a 'mansized tumor in the colon'..so he was in surgery the
following day. During the surgery, the Dr. felt one on his liver.
The thought was just the one, but ct scans showed 3 in one lobe, 2 in other, & one on lung. Had the resection of liver, but Dr. told him point blank no chemo would help or give him quality of
life that he wanted. So since 3/00, we have learned to deal with
it..what ticks me off is that we don't know the important things/changes in his body that would warrent a call to the Dr.,
we have no idea what time span he has, or what the top level for
cea tumor marker is as when the progressive downhill would be
more in evidence. He wants this info, he deserves this info, but
have not been able to get it from the Dr...as he plays it off by
changing subject. Thanks for the info, will try what you gave. Please write me at ***@**** & let me know what happens w/u!!!! Good luck!!!