Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Expert Forum
Bloated with shortness of breath.

This is a place to ask questions about digestive problems and receive a personal answer from a highly qualified doctor. You will also find support from other members who share your interest in digestive disorders. Digestive Disorders include: Anal and Rectal problems, Barrett’s Esophagus, Bleeding in the Stomach and Digestive Tract, Constipation, Crohn’s Disease, Gastritis, GERD, Heartburn, Proctitis, Short Bowel Syndrome, Ulcers, Whipple’s Disease, Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome (and many more).

Bloated with shortness of breath.

I'm a 24 year old male with a long history of acid reflux. About 2.5 years ago I started feeling very uncomfortable shortness of breath. Bout a year into it I saw a doctor who suggested a nissun surgery that tightens up the hiatus opening in the esophagus. Fixed the heartburn but made it impossible to burp. About a year after that I felt the opening starting to get bigger and I had great burps and I had no more shortness of breath. Is that possible? Can bloating cause stress to your diaphram and effect breathing?? 4 months ago I began  feeling the same labored breathing and tightness in the chest. I feel as if the hiatus has opened up too much because now when I try and burp I get alot of acid and no air comes out. Heartburn is back and breathing is hard. I know I suffer from anxiety as well could that be affecting my breathing?? Thanks for reading my novel. Please give input. Much appreciated.
Yes, the bloating can lead to shortness of breath as well as breathing symptoms.  

Consideration of an upper endoscopy can evaluate the condition of the surgery.  

A 24-hr pH study can quantify the severity of GERD.

If the breathing symptoms continue despite normal GI testing, you can consider a lung workup like pulmonary function testing.

These options can be discussed with your personal physician.

Followup with your personal physician is essential.

This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice - the information presented is for patient education only. Please see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.

Kevin, M.D.
www.kevinmd.com
My doctor told me he'd never heard of innability to burp or relieve bloating to cause breathing symtoms (symptoms). I always knew that was the problem and several other people said that it could definetely cause shorness of breath. He thinks that it's anxiety. Could anxiety really cause that kind of shortness of breath for this long? Should antidepressants be considered?? Thank you.
I can only burp by rolling to  my left side or laying on it...it can indeed cause symptoms as you describe. we tend to swallow far more air than we realize. try elinating pop, sip water through straw, go easy on gas producing foods, and try to remeber to rock to each side while relaxing you throat area after every meal...you may be surprised how much this will eliminate your bloating symptoms.
I have been breathing shortness from a 3 months ago,,in related with continous burping,,tightness of chest,bulging of stomach,irritation in throat...went to several hospita,,done x-ray,ecg,endoscopy,ultrasound,,but evrything was normal...,,can anyone will help me out,,this is killin me!!!