Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Expert Forum
Blocked throat
About This Forum:

This is a place to ask questions about digestive problems and receive a personal answer from a highly qualified doctor. You will also find support from other members who share your interest in digestive disorders. Digestive Disorders include: Anal and Rectal problems, Barrett’s Esophagus, Bleeding in the Stomach and Digestive Tract, Constipation, Crohn’s Disease, Gastritis, GERD, Heartburn, Proctitis, Short Bowel Syndrome, Ulcers, Whipple’s Disease, Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome (and many more).

Font Size:
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Blocked throat

I am 63 years old. I have had deodenal ulcers (2),for more than 15 years now and they give me no problems. I have the problem of three or four times a year being unable to swalow down solid food even though I cut small pieces, it is very embarrasing, especially when I am at a sit down meal with geusts. My throat
blocks up for about three days at a time, like right now at the time of this writing. I cannot even get a drop of water down. I drink one, non prescription strength, acid reducing pill, (ranitidine tablets USP, 75 mg), just about every morning before work. I bought the pills at the pharmacy in Walmart. I get very hungry and thirsty and feel constant pain in my throat. To-day, Monday, is the third day now that my throat is blocked up and I have decided to stay away from work untill my throat decides to get un-blocked. My wife that I love very much is besides herself with worry. Can you give me any good advice?
I have full medical coverage with United Health Care. I am allergic to nothing I know of, like penicillin, and I am otherwise in perfect health, I am 6'2" tall and weigh 190 lbs.
Thank you for reading this note.
Related Discussions
233190 tn?1278553401
Any problems with swallowing needs to be investigated further.  I would suggest an upper GI series or upper endoscopy to ensure there isn't any anatomical blockage.  

If negative, a 24-hr pH study with esophageal motility studies can be considered to look for GERD as well as any esophageal motility disorders.  

If negative, you may want to consider an ENT referral to look higher up into the oropharynx.

These options can be discussed in conjunction with a GI or ENT referral.

Followup with your personal physician is essential.

This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice - the information presented is for patient education only. Please see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.

Kevin, M.D.
Medical Weblog:
Avatar n tn
i just learn that saliva conatins bicarbonate and it neutralise stomach acid.
Try chewing gum,your gland will generate a lot of saliva and for some reason,the motion of chewing and swallowing helps.
Continue discussion Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now