Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Expert Forum
Blood

This is a place to ask questions about digestive problems and receive a personal answer from a highly qualified doctor. You will also find support from other members who share your interest in digestive disorders. Digestive Disorders include: Anal and Rectal problems, Barrett’s Esophagus, Bleeding in the Stomach and Digestive Tract, Constipation, Crohn’s Disease, Gastritis, GERD, Heartburn, Proctitis, Short Bowel Syndrome, Ulcers, Whipple’s Disease, Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome (and many more).

Blood

Hello.

I've had some bright red bleeding for several years now, which has been ascribed to a small haemorrhoid, not requiring surgery. Over the last year I've been treated for severe depression, and have developed the symptoms of IBS. There is usually some blood with the diarrhoea.

This morning, however, instead of passing a stool, I passed quite a large amount of red blood, which had a lot of mucus in it. I've made an appointment with my GP - in 2 weeks' time - but, needless to say, I'm terrified and wonder if I should seek emergency treatment?

I hope you can give me some idea of what the cause may be, and whether it is urgent.

Thank you.

I am sorry to hear of this misfortune. Understand that IBS is not accompanied by bleeding. Bleeding usually signals  a condition in need of a little more attention. Bleeding per the rectum is never a symtom to ignore. If your diet is OK and you are feeling generally OK, waiting the two weeks to see your GP may suffice. However, it may be in your best interest to seek out a good GI doc as well, one that specializes in the treatment of gastric disorders. If you feel pain or your bledding spells become more frequent with increasing amounts of blood, than you need to seek emergency attention. You know your body the best and if you don't feel right or feel that you benefit from going to an ER, than go. But waiting two weeks, as long as things don't get worse, should be OK. I hope all goes well. Take care and good luck.
                               JCI
Thank you, RTFLY. I'll bear your advice in mind and hope it doesn't get any worse!