Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Expert Forum
Blood In Bowel Movement And On Toilet Paper After Straining...

This is a place to ask questions about digestive problems and receive a personal answer from a highly qualified doctor. You will also find support from other members who share your interest in digestive disorders. Digestive Disorders include: Anal and Rectal problems, Barrett’s Esophagus, Bleeding in the Stomach and Digestive Tract, Constipation, Crohn’s Disease, Gastritis, GERD, Heartburn, Proctitis, Short Bowel Syndrome, Ulcers, Whipple’s Disease, Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome (and many more).

Hi doctor, I have been having this problem for a while now and I have no idea what is causing this.  I have looked through this forum but nobody has described the problem exactly the way I have it.  Please help!

I go through series of loose bowel movements, normal bowel movements, and hard bowel movements, I think because I have a minor case of Irritable Bowel Syndrome.  The hard bowel movements are the ones I'm concerned about, as they cause a strange phenomenon.

When I have a very hard bowel movement, often I find myself straining and forcing it out.  The problem is that after this occurs, the toilet water around the bowel movement is red and when I wipe, there is bright red blood on the paper for the first couple wipes or so.  I don't see any blood on the stool itself, per se, but I've never really examined poop that closely and I don't really want to.

I've noticed that if I DON'T strain and just let the bowel movement come out naturally, there is usually no blood on the toilet paper or in the toilet water.  So it usually seems to happen ONLY when I strain to push out an abnormally hard and dry bowel movement.

I don't know what to do or how to stop this.  Please help.

By the way, I am 25-years-old and I work at night, so my eating schedule is a bit different from a nine-to-fiver.  I don't exercise much and I am 5'2" and slightly overweight.

Thanks!
Constipation can irritate to bowel lining leading to bleeding.

Hemorrhoids, polyps, inflammatory bowel disease or an anal fissure are other causes.

You can consider a flexible sigmoidoscopy for further evaluation.

Followup with your personal physician is essential.

This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice - the information presented is for patients education only. Please see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.

Kevin, M.D.
www.kevinmd.com
1 Comment
A related discussion, IBS and straining was started.