Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Expert Forum
Blood in Urine

This is a place to ask questions about digestive problems and receive a personal answer from a highly qualified doctor. You will also find support from other members who share your interest in digestive disorders. Digestive Disorders include: Anal and Rectal problems, Barrett’s Esophagus, Bleeding in the Stomach and Digestive Tract, Constipation, Crohn’s Disease, Gastritis, GERD, Heartburn, Proctitis, Short Bowel Syndrome, Ulcers, Whipple’s Disease, Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome (and many more).

Blood in Urine

The last 3 years when having my yearly GYN exam, I have had a trace of blood in my urine.  Last year, I was sent to a urologist who performed a cystoscope and a CT scan on my kidneys and abdomen.  Everything was negative for any problems.  Again this year, there was a trace of blood.  I cannot help but be concerned about where this blood is coming from. I walk 2 miles @ 3 times a week, which I don't feel is enough to cause bleeding.
Blood in the urine can be a frustrating problem.   The good news is that if there was something serious going on (cancer), it would have been found with the tests you had.  A normal cystoscope is a thorough evaluation of the bladder, and the CT scan would rule out kidney disorders and stones.  

You may want to consider serial tests (i.e. every 6 months) to ensure that there is no cancer missed.  

In addition, a urine cytology can be considered for a more thorough evaluation.  This is another way that bladder cancer is screened.  

Followup with your personal physician is essential.

This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice - the information presented is for patient education only. Please see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.

Kevin, M.D.
Medical Weblog:
kevinmd_b
Blood in the urine is called hematuria.  It sounds like in your case it is microscopic hematuria which means 3 red blood cells or more found under microscopic analysis of a urine sample.  The usual work-up for microscopic hematuria usually depends on your age.  Anyone 40 years or older has cystoscopy, CAT scan, and cytology.  It sounds like you didn't have cytology which is a procedure to look for abnormal cells.  Sounds like you had negative results on your other tests through.  usually patients with hematuria are montired on a 6 months basis.  In MANY cases, the causes of hematuria remain unknown.

I know exactly how you feel because I am in the same boat.  I have had negative work-ups, but still have traces of blood in my urine.  It really freaked me out at first.  I am under the regular care of a urologist.  My urologist told me that I will probably have this for the rest of my life.  He said that there is probably an irritation somewhere in the system.  I sort of worry about it, but it has been 2 1/2 years.  if it was something serious, I'd be gone by now.  I guess that's a dumb way to look at it, but let your urologist do the worrying.

Good luck and God bless!
GallbladderBaby
I forgot to mention that the urologist did do a urine cytology, which also was negative.