Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Expert Forum
Blood in stool and cramps

This is a place to ask questions about digestive problems and receive a personal answer from a highly qualified doctor. You will also find support from other members who share your interest in digestive disorders. Digestive Disorders include: Anal and Rectal problems, Barrett’s Esophagus, Bleeding in the Stomach and Digestive Tract, Constipation, Crohn’s Disease, Gastritis, GERD, Heartburn, Proctitis, Short Bowel Syndrome, Ulcers, Whipple’s Disease, Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome (and many more).

Blood in stool and cramps

6 months ago I noticed some blood in my stool that went away after about a week.  I had a virtual colonoscopy which was normal.  The bleeding came back about a month ago and has been on and off ever since.   My doctor suspects internal hemorrhoids but hasn
A virtual colonoscopy should rule out many of the major causes of bleeding - such as a polyp or mass.  Hemorrhoids or an anal fissure can lead to some of the discomfort or bleeding that is present.  An anoscopy or colonoscopy can provide better visualization of the affected area.  

I agree with the referral to a GI specialist.  Testing the stool for infection can help find the cause of the diarrhea.

If the symptoms continue, you can consider irritable bowel syndrome - which can give alternating diarrhea with constipation.  Increasing fiber intake is recommended in this case.  You can also consider antispasmodic or antibiotic therapy if the symptoms are refractory.

These options can be discussed with your personal physician.

Followup with your personal physician is essential.

This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice - the information presented is for patient education only. Please see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.

Kevin, M.D.
kevinmd_
I apologize that I did not include the following in the original post - I am a 44 year old female, probably 40 lbs overweight, otherwise in good health and fairly active.  
Wow your symptoms sound vaguely familiar! I have been putting up with right side abdominal pain for approx., well since '93 when I had my gallbladder out, went back to the surgeon a week after the surgery with severe abdominal pain but he said it was common and sent me home with no explanation and ever since then I have had severe pain, chronic daily diarrhea with and without blood, weight loss of 20 pounds in a matter of days, have stopped eating for days to avoid the pain but to no avail, anemia, dizziness, extreme fatigue, but honestly the pain in my side is the worst and it's not getting any better, vomitting, naseau, gas, etc. I don't know why some doctors say with treatment it will improve or get better. I have been to so many hospitals, doctors, emergency rooms, tests to numerous to mention, I've had them all at least 3 times or more and it's a different diagnosis with every single doctor!! IBS, IBD, gastroenteritis, kidney stones, kidney infections, h pylori, etc., but no definite answer to anything but as time has gone by the symptoms have not gone away and the pain has only gotten worse and some docs tell me well deal with your pain there's nothing more we can do! My last doctor, what a joke!! Upper gi, barium, colonoscopy, blood tests, stool samples, urine tests, cholesteral, bone marrow tests for 3 years; they knew by name at the one hospital I went for tests at after awhile. At present I have taken anti-inflammatories, lomotil, axid, reglan, pepcid, zantac, stopped drinking milk, gave up sugar, caffeine, drink only bottled water, no chocolate, no red meat, I live on veggies basically, cannot eat yogurt!!!!! I don't know what else to do or give up eating! I'm at my wits end looking for an answer so i told my family no more tests, no more doctors, no more nothing, if I lose another job due to this condition then I will look for another. I got fired from one job due to too many sick days my medical leave ran out and I quit another because I had to go to the bathroom more than I could work. My boss now is more understanding thank goodness!! Sorry this post was so long i just wanted to let you know that your symptoms do exist that there really is something going on but the docs all cover it up by saying you have IBS deal with it! I'm not paying anyone else to say you have IBS!!! Do you have pain 24/7 with IBS??
A related discussion, blood in stool was started.