Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Expert Forum
Blood in stool

This is a place to ask questions about digestive problems and receive a personal answer from a highly qualified doctor. You will also find support from other members who share your interest in digestive disorders. Digestive Disorders include: Anal and Rectal problems, Barrett’s Esophagus, Bleeding in the Stomach and Digestive Tract, Constipation, Crohn’s Disease, Gastritis, GERD, Heartburn, Proctitis, Short Bowel Syndrome, Ulcers, Whipple’s Disease, Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome (and many more).

Blood in stool

A few times right before my period I have noticed blood in my stool.  It feels like I am constipated at the time and it starts to hurt almost like it is tearing the area....then of course I wipe and there is blood. Could these just be hemmoroids (hemorrhoids)?  Sometimes before this bleeding I feel uncomfortable like an itching feeling in the area.  It is at this time that I have blood in my stool.
I am 26 years old and have no medical history in the family of this problem.  I am healthy and exercise regularly.
Should I be concerned with this or is it just straining?  Hemmoroids (hemorrhoids)?  Or just the effects of my period.  It usually happens 3-5 days prior to my period starting.  This has happened approxiamately 3-4 times a year.

Thanks for your help!
Hello - thanks for asking your question.

The most common cause of rectal bleeding in your age group is hemorrhoids.  The concurrent itching feeling is consistent with this.  

Other possibilities would be an anal fissure, colorectal polyp, inflammatory bowel disease, colorectal cancer, rectal prolapse or diverticulosis.  

I would visit a physician where anoscopy should be performed to visualize any hemorrhoid.  If that is the case, initial treatment with stool softeners or topical corticosteroids should be tried.  

If the diagnosis is still uncertain, then a flexible sigmoidoscopy or colonoscopy should be considered to evaluate the other causes of rectal bleeding.  

Followup with your personal physician is essential.

This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice - the information presented is for patient education only. Please see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.

Thanks,
Kevin, M.D.
Extra info....during the BM it feels as if I am passing a large stool that is tearing the area....sometimes it is large but sometimes it is small in size.
I have had hemroids for over 25 years now and what you are describing sounds like hemroids. Suguestion, try using preperation H and make sure you have plenty of fiber in you diet, you can also try drinking prun juice in the morning to promote regular bow movements with out straining. Once you are regular with out straining the use of preperation H should be all you need to do. If this does not work then you may have some other probelm and should see you doctor. Hope this is helpful. Also check these links.

http://www.medical-library.org/journals/mddx/gi_bleeding/1_hemorrhoids.htm

http://hemroids.com/g.php?C=8458&D=21144&domain=hemroids.com&K=hemorrhoids&V=5168&K2=hemorrhoids

Good Luck

Tom