Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Expert Forum
Blood in vomit

This is a place to ask questions about digestive problems and receive a personal answer from a highly qualified doctor. You will also find support from other members who share your interest in digestive disorders. Digestive Disorders include: Anal and Rectal problems, Barrett’s Esophagus, Bleeding in the Stomach and Digestive Tract, Constipation, Crohn’s Disease, Gastritis, GERD, Heartburn, Proctitis, Short Bowel Syndrome, Ulcers, Whipple’s Disease, Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome (and many more).

Blood in vomit

Hello, I was wondering if anyone can offer some insight on my problem. I am a 29 year old male in good health. Two days ago I felt sick then I vomited alot of blood. I was not feeling well for the couple of days leading up to it, I felt like I had the flu, and to make matters worse I did consume about 8 bottles of beer before this happened, and I hadn't eaten dinner yet. I dont have insurance, and being a single dad of two boys I am finacially strained, so I cant pay for a hospital visit. I have been under alot of stress latley, and I probally have been drinking more than I should, but I dont know if this could be the cause of the problem? Of course I have not had another drink since, nor do I intend to for a long while. I guess I should add that this was the first time this ever happened, and it has not happened since. I also did look at my stool, and I didn't see any traces of blood there. Anyone know of something that could be the cuase of this hopefully temporary condition? Thanks
1 Comment
If the blood appeared to look like coffee grinds, then it was blood from your stomach that coagulated when it mixed with stomach acid. If it did not look like coffee grinds, it probably was not blood. The one exception to this general rule that I am aware of is if you have an ulcerated, bleeding esophagus. In that case, you can vomit red blood because it has not worked its way into the stomach (and coagulated in the acid) yet.

If you have an ulcerated esophagus, you will be experiencing continuing problems, so if this was an isolated incident, you probably aren't bleeding from the esophagus.

Good luck.