Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Expert Forum
Blood on toilet paper, and on outside of stool

This is a place to ask questions about digestive problems and receive a personal answer from a highly qualified doctor. You will also find support from other members who share your interest in digestive disorders. Digestive Disorders include: Anal and Rectal problems, Barrett’s Esophagus, Bleeding in the Stomach and Digestive Tract, Constipation, Crohn’s Disease, Gastritis, GERD, Heartburn, Proctitis, Short Bowel Syndrome, Ulcers, Whipple’s Disease, Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome (and many more).

For the past 2 months, I have had blood at times on the outside of my stool some of it then shows up in the toilet bowl, and on the toilet paper.  Once the stool passes the blood doesnt show up, In the past 2 weeks, I have not had any blood than all of a sudden I had a hard stool, and then saw bright red blood on the toilet paper and some blood in the toilet bowl,
Possible causes include an anal fissue, hemorrhoid or a cause deeper within the bowel - including a polyp, cancer or diverticulosis.

I would consider a flexbile sigmoidoscopy or anoscopy for better visualization.  If you are over the age of 50, a colonoscopy can be considered.

These options can be discussed with your personal physician.

Followup with your personal physician is essential.

This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice - the information presented is for patient education only. Please see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.

Kevin, M.D.
kevinmd_b
I am 35 years old
I've had several anal fissues and they do have the same symptoms
as yours.
Mine would bleed a few days then return every few months
This was later linked to Chrohns Disease.
I really wonder what my issue is then. I am waiting for the results back from a stool sample and a blood count. I am on the waiting list for a scopography. About 3 mo. ago I first noticed blood in my stool and on my toilet paper. I was travelling South America. It happened 2-3 times and then went away. (I layed off of alcohol and red meat). I didnt think anything of it and then it happened again a few weeks later. I returned home and now its happened again a few times. I do notice a pattern of when I 'binge' dirnk it seems to occur more often than not. My family doctor thinks its a hemroid but not 100% yet. I havent had any pain just the odd light headedness and fatige. Anyone exp. the same sypmtoms????
I have the same problem and the doctor said when you are passing a hard stool, you tear the lining of the rectum.  The way to fix this problem is to eat a lot of fiber every single day.  
I am a 39 year old female with GERD and IBS.  i take libraz, Carafate liquid and Protonix.  I had a colonoscopy in december that reflected internal hemohrroids.  They had never bled before.  I go from constipated to diarreah (diarrhea) frequently.  So I cant say when I am going to have what.

In the last two weeks I have been going thru something personal and very stressful, I have not been sleeping well.  Then I went to the bathroom and bright red blood was on the toilet paper.  I became afraid.  I called my GI and he recommended supositories.  I have used a few. but the blood comes and goes.  Sometimes I feel like I need to go to the bathroom for a bowel movement and I get like cramps but all I get is some blood.  I then it seemed like a piede of cloody something came out also.

Is this cancer,  I mean I just had a colonoscopy a few months ago and everything was good.  So is this stress and not sleeping ....

Opinions please
A related discussion, Diarrhea wiht  alot  of  blood was started.