Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Expert Forum
Blood with faeces

This is a place to ask questions about digestive problems and receive a personal answer from a highly qualified doctor. You will also find support from other members who share your interest in digestive disorders. Digestive Disorders include: Anal and Rectal problems, Barrett’s Esophagus, Bleeding in the Stomach and Digestive Tract, Constipation, Crohn’s Disease, Gastritis, GERD, Heartburn, Proctitis, Short Bowel Syndrome, Ulcers, Whipple’s Disease, Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome (and many more).

Blood with faeces

I have recently, for the last couple of weeks, had blood with my faeces when I go to the loo. Sometimes it is only a little, others it is a lot. I have for a long while had the situation where occassionally I have had blood when I have gone to the loo, but now it seems that everytime I go to the loo the blood is there and in a greater degree. It is not so bad that I always need the loo, so it doesn't effect my job.

Thing is this: I am only a 29 year old man, so why am I getting this `problem' and is there anything that I can do to stop it?
Blood in the stool should always be evaluated for.  

At age 29, things like polyps and cancer are less likely - but still possible.  Other possibilities include hemorrhoids, an anal fissure, inflammatory bowel disease or diverticulosis.

I would consider a flexbile sigmoidoscopy at this point to evaluate for some of the more serious causes.  

This option can be discussed with your personal physician.

Followup with your personal physician is essential.

This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice - the information presented is for patient education only. Please see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.

Kevin, M.D.
Medical Weblog:
kevinmd_b
what is the color of the blood in feces??
Yes as yoshi asked color of blood? Fresh red/ brownish/ black?
Is the blood passed before the passage of faeces or after?
Are the faeces mixed/covered with it?

Anytime someone has the new finding of blood in the stool, a visit to the doctor is in order to find out what is causing it.  

This isn't something to investigate on your own.  Get it checked out.
well,if a person has hemorroid ,then he will be passing blood ,there is no need to see a doc everytime it happens,but if he does not have history of hemorroid,then he should see a doctor .
bright red means it's fresh and just happened so likely to be at the lower end of the process - haemaroid, fissure etc - should be visible by the GP with an inspection. Darker might imply it's further up and might require colonoscopy to identify.

Don't take a chance - it's it's something serious you'll want treatment as soon as possible. If it's less serious then it's better to find out and stop worrying. Either way GET IT CHECK NOW. Prefferably when it's still a current problem and not healed up.

(I had something similar, ended up having a colonoscopy for peace of mind since i;m pushing 40. now I can sleep knowing it was just a fissue). being careful to get enough fibre or whatever it takes to keep the stool soft will helpa void aggrivating it. best of luck.
I have IBS and for the first time when I went to the bathroom today, I had blood in the feces. It wasn't dark red, but it looked like fresh blood. For someone with IBS is this normal? I have an appointment with my Doc next week, but am still somewhat nervous.

alan
I am 19 year old Male, i had abdominal pains for about a year, the pains were quite severe and were made worse when i drank alcohol ( i had a few heavy bouts of binge drinking). i then visited my doctor, he gave me antaacids and i have since stopped drinking alcohol. The burning gnawing pain has stopped but i have a concnentrated pain on the left side of my abdominal which is painful when i press it.
My stools had some mucus on them for a while but yesterday there was also blood across them. the blood was bright and looked fresh. what could be the cause?
A related discussion, bowel was started.