Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Expert Forum
Bone Popping in Throat

This is a place to ask questions about digestive problems and receive a personal answer from a highly qualified doctor. You will also find support from other members who share your interest in digestive disorders. Digestive Disorders include: Anal and Rectal problems, Barrett’s Esophagus, Bleeding in the Stomach and Digestive Tract, Constipation, Crohn’s Disease, Gastritis, GERD, Heartburn, Proctitis, Short Bowel Syndrome, Ulcers, Whipple’s Disease, Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome (and many more).

Bone Popping in Throat

Does anybody here experience a bone or cartilage popping in the throat when swallowing? I have had this problem for 4 months now. It doesn't prevent me from eating or drinking but it is a very annoying feeling.
Hi, yes I get that all the time.  I've never said anything about it because it seemed so silly to be having something "pop" when I swollow, and I've never heard anyone else complain about it.  It's nice to know that I'm not the only one.  Usually when I'm laying down on my right side and I swollow, I get this kind of "clunk" sound/feeling on the left side of my throat.  It doesn't quite hurt, but it's not comfortable either.  I just reposition myself and wish that was the worst of my problems. :) I don't know if it's the same thing you're experiencing, but it sounds like it.  If you find out anything let me know....  Be well.

Thanks for replying. Have you seen a doctor about the bone popping? Have you been diagnosed with acid reflux? I was diagnosed with laryngopharyngeal reflux but the ENT said he didn't think that was related to bone popping in throat.

I don't know if i have the same but the symphoms are nearly the same.
Since one month ago when ever I eat something I feel like something stucks just behind my tongue, beginning the throat. I had stick out my tongue but I couldn't see anything. :-(

I thought maybe it was some kind of infection and it took some medicine. One week had passed already and I still feel the same when I eat.

How could I know it is a bone and not another thing???

Thank you very much

Best Regards

Kahine
About 3 years ago I had a small vender accident.  I had my head turned looking at the rear of the car at the time.  After that I had the popping in my throat.  I saw my MD,my ears, nose and throat md, I had a scope through my nose into my throat and x-ray's of me swallowing.  Nothing showed up.  They told me I was just tense and gave me muscle relaxers, didn't help.

Finally, my brother in-law, who is a physical therapist checked me out and thought that it was cartlige popping in and out.  He had me take my thumb and the the knuckel of my index finger and move the cartlage in my throat back and forth, gently.  I did this several times a day for quite a few months,but it finally went away.  Sometimes it comes back I do the exercise a few days and it leaves.

Give it a try.  It can't hurt.  I know how annoying it can be. I thought I was going to go crazy.

Good luck.
A related discussion, pray was started.