Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Expert Forum
Borborygmi- intestine noises

This is a place to ask questions about digestive problems and receive a personal answer from a highly qualified doctor. You will also find support from other members who share your interest in digestive disorders. Digestive Disorders include: Anal and Rectal problems, Barrett’s Esophagus, Bleeding in the Stomach and Digestive Tract, Constipation, Crohn’s Disease, Gastritis, GERD, Heartburn, Proctitis, Short Bowel Syndrome, Ulcers, Whipple’s Disease, Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome (and many more).

Borborygmi- intestine noises

I have recently strated getting squeaking or rumbling noises from (I think) my large intestine. It is not flatulence, as there is no expulsion of gas through the anus. It comes on when I've been sat down a while, especially in easy chairs. It's OK if I keep moving, or sit on the floor. I have no abdominal pain, diarrhoea or constipation, and feel fine. Any suggestions as to whether it's being caused by what I am/ am not eating, or anything else?
Dear Ruth,
The borborygmi that you hear and feel maty represent the normal contractions of the gastrointestinal tract.  Why there are noises that can be audible may be related to the magnitude of the contraction and the contents of the bowel.  This symptom is much more common that people realize.

This information is presented for educational purposes.  Ask specific questiosn to your personal physician.
I have been having the same symptoms for about a month now. I don't have any other symptoms (abdominal pain, diarrhoea or constipation), and feel fine as well. It doesn't seem to be in one place of the intestine but occurs all over - left, right, high, low. The noise is so loud is sometimes keeps me awake. I have tried to note if certain foods make it worse but it doesn't seem to be associated with any food - but it does occur most after I eat.

Please advise. Is this something serious?
I have the same problem, my stomach growls or rumbles through out the whole day every day.Its been a chronic problem with me for the last couple of months.I gone to the GI doctor but they are not any help they given me every medication possible for this problem but I still have the growling in my stomach.I also dont have diarrhoea,constipation,or pain and because of that fact i think the doctors wont take that much intrest in the problem a hand-but if anyone has any tricks or ideas to help out with the problem please do!!!
A related discussion, borborygmi was started.