Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Expert Forum
Boston Specialists?

This is a place to ask questions about digestive problems and receive a personal answer from a highly qualified doctor. You will also find support from other members who share your interest in digestive disorders. Digestive Disorders include: Anal and Rectal problems, Barrett’s Esophagus, Bleeding in the Stomach and Digestive Tract, Constipation, Crohn’s Disease, Gastritis, GERD, Heartburn, Proctitis, Short Bowel Syndrome, Ulcers, Whipple’s Disease, Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome (and many more).

Boston Specialists?

Can anyone recommend a good GI specialist in Boston, preferably from Mass General?  My fiance is experiencing severe gallbladder pains, and her doctors here in NH are stumped.  All of her tests so far have been normal (ultrasound, barium, endoscopy, HIDA etc.).
Try this list..

http://www.castleconnolly.com/doctors/results.cfm

You could also go to barnes and noble and read through the book as well. Perhaps it's not her gallbladder that's giving her all the trouble. It may feel as though it's the gallbladder, but could be something entirely different. Before she goes in demading it be her gallbladder, I would make sure EVERYTHING else checks out OK.
Good luck!
Jenn
Thanks for the tip, Jenn.  Her symptoms show up usually between a half hour to an hour after consuming anything with fat in it.  She feels squeezing in her lower right abdominal area, and sharp pains which often travel up her back.  She often becomes nauseous and vomits as well.  She has lost 20lbs in the past year, and she's now down to about 115lbs.  She's only 20, and we're both very tired from this.  Her specialist referred her to a surgeon, but the surgeon was reluctant to consider surgical options (which is fair) and hinted that the problem may be psychosomatic.  Anyways thanks for your reponse, it is much appreciated!
I'm glad the sureon was reluctant. That's what I was hinting at. Once it's gone, it's gone. Has she been seeing a "Gastroenterologist"? Have they done an upper GI along with endoscope to view the belly, esophagus and duodenum? If not, those are important procedures. Perhaps she should see an allergest as well. Food allergies could also be the culprit. Don't let anyone tell her it's in her head. If you've read this board, the pain is very real! Find a good Gastro doctor. I'm assuming she's had CT-Scan, abdominal ultra sound, upper AND lower GI? Those tests NEED to be done to rule anything out.
I'm glad I could help.
Jenn
If the doctors don't think it is her gallbladder, ask them if it could be her pancreas.  Alot of people have problems with their pancreas and don't find this out until AFTER the gallbladder has been removed unnecessarily.  The fact that she has lost so much weight tends to make me believe it would be her pancreas and NOT her gallbladder.  Best of luck to you and your girlfriend.  Have a GREAT weekend.
Hi:

I have some knowledge of GI's in Massachusetts.
Though I know of no one specifically from Mass General, if you are willing to go a little outside of Boston, I would greatly recommend Dr. Jose Marcal  (who I believe is affiliated with the Lahey Clinic and Winchester Hospital).  Though I don't know him personally, some of my patients have been seen by him, and all have been treated very well by him and have offered their recommendation.  The referral line is 781-729-8278 if you'd like more info about him.  In fact, I understand that he was named one of "Boston's Best Doctors" in a Feb 2002 profile in Boston Magazine...I hope this helps.

John W. (RPh.)