Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Expert Forum
Bowel Movement and changes in color

This is a place to ask questions about digestive problems and receive a personal answer from a highly qualified doctor. You will also find support from other members who share your interest in digestive disorders. Digestive Disorders include: Anal and Rectal problems, Barrett’s Esophagus, Bleeding in the Stomach and Digestive Tract, Constipation, Crohn’s Disease, Gastritis, GERD, Heartburn, Proctitis, Short Bowel Syndrome, Ulcers, Whipple’s Disease, Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome (and many more).

Bowel Movement and changes in color

Tues evening, 04/08/03, I had dinner at my sister in law and we had red wine (3 glasses) and spaghetti - nothing out of the ordinary. Wed morning I woke up and had stomach cramping and diarhrea (very loose). I took Immodium AD in pill form after the condition continued for 2 hours of running back and forth. At this point I had begun a hemorroidal flair up which was very painful. The Immodium took effect and the cramping continued for a day but the diahrea stopped. The following day (Thurs)I noticed blood on my stool and in my gaseous dicharge, I assumed this was from the hemmroidal bleeding. I was never actually able to determine if the bleeding was hemroidal or not because I could not see any extermal bleeding when blotting my rectum but did have the bleeding continue for 2 more days. If the bleeding had continued until Monday 04/14/03 I was going to seek the advice of my doctor but it stopped before Sunday morning. I have not had any furhter bleeding but now my stool has turned green. I first noticed it last night and then again this morning.

My question is concering if the bleeding, which has stopped, could be related to my green movements. AND... what could cause my movements to be green? I have not eaten anything out of the ordinary and am concerned that this color change would follow after the bleeding. I am not experiencing any cramping or loose movements any longer and the hemmroidal swelling is almost gone as well as the tenderness which accompanies the swelling.
Hello - thanks for asking your question.

To answer your questions:
1) In general, green stools are not concerning.  Causes include obvious causes such as large amounts of green, leafy vegetables, green or purple artificial coloring (popsicles, Kool-Aid, gelatin).  Iron supplements and rapid transit or decreased colonic transit time can also cause green stools (i.e. such as in irritable bowel syndrome).  

2) I do not believe that your bleeding is related to the green stools.  However, any rectal bleed should be properly evaluated.  If you are below the age of 40, hemorrhoids are the most common cause.  As you age, the possibility of colorectal cancer or polyps increases.  Other causes includes gastroenteritis (which is a possibility in your case), inflammatory bowel disease or diverticulosis.  Ideally, an endoscopy should be performed to evaluate the bleeding - this can be either a flexible sigmoidoscopy or colonoscopy.  

Followup with your personal physician is essential.

This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice - the information presented is for patient education only. Please see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.

Thanks,
Kevin, M.D.
A related discussion, Diahrrea and vomiting was started.
A related discussion, clay colored stools was started.