Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Expert Forum
Bowel Movements

This is a place to ask questions about digestive problems and receive a personal answer from a highly qualified doctor. You will also find support from other members who share your interest in digestive disorders. Digestive Disorders include: Anal and Rectal problems, Barrett’s Esophagus, Bleeding in the Stomach and Digestive Tract, Constipation, Crohn’s Disease, Gastritis, GERD, Heartburn, Proctitis, Short Bowel Syndrome, Ulcers, Whipple’s Disease, Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome (and many more).

Bowel Movements

Dear Doctor,

Last week I was sick with vomiting and diarrhea. I vomited for three days then had severe diarrhea on the fourth day. Because I was on a road trip and needed to come home, on the fourth day I took Imodium (immodium) AD. I have since had no bowel movemnts at all. It has been 6 days. Should I see a doctor? How often should I normally have bowel movements?
Hi there!

How many immodium capsules did you take? If you only took one or two, there isn't anything wrong with you, maybe just a virus. After suffering extreme cases of diarrea (diarrhea) and/or vomiting, bowel movement tend to get thrown off and so you have constipation which may alter with diarrea (diarrhea) or soft stool for a short while.

I'm sure you've had a bowel movement by the time you read this. If not don't take any laxitives and if it lasts past 7 days see your doctor immediately.

Have a great day!
I had an exray at my doctors of my stomach area due to complaint
of pain in right side-the exray showed what appears to be backed up stool in my intestine. She has me taking fiber pills and
Milk of Magnesia daily-this is going on 3weeks. I'm scheduled for a colonoscopy on the 29th. If this is backed up stool and by taking the treatment advised-shouldn't this have cleared?
Worried there's something there. Anyone have this similar problem? Can't find anything about intestinal blockage such as this. Any advise??? I'm 53, a woman and in good health.
I eat alot of fruits and veg's-don't smoke or drink-I make an effort to take care of myself.
I have had problems with my bowels as well
After my last colonics I felt great, more energetic but my bowel problems seemed to continue, which included bloating, gas, diarrhea with undigestid food in stool, and fatigue. I figured it was probably intestinal parasites, so i went out and found a clense kit and started that, as well as some black walnut to expell worms. The fiber didn't seem to bulk up my stools but the black walnut did help with Stool formation, I was ready to give up. Then one day I cam across hydrated bentonite clay, one tablespoon of that and I had perfect elimination overnight it was a little pale but all symptoms were gone. However if I stopped the clay they would return.
So the clay worked well for about 3 months and then it slowly begain to stop working I started to take black walnut, alfalfa, probiotics, charcoal,bentonite fiber just to try to keep regular bowel movements and slowly the symptoms returned eventually all of the things I used to take to keep me regular such as balck walnut and alfalfa stopped working. Even imodium (immodium) stopped working , it used to stop everything and quick fix all problems. I tried not taking everything and the stool that was eliminated became almost completely undigested and pale. So no problem right digestive problem? I went out and got the best digestive enzyme I could find and ox bile and hcl, this digestid the food alright but the day after I took it all I was completely exhasted. I made an elimination that afternoon, digestid food but still vary pale.
So Ive been taking a parasite formula, alfalfa, bentonite, probiotics(from jaro) grapefruite seed extract, some digestive enzimes and a friendly yeast called Saccharomyces Boulardii which is the most benificial supplement ive been taking. I still have smelly powdery stools but at least I feel better. I sleep well, I have no fever, my glands are not swollen, Im trying to avoid all carbs but brown rice and a little bread, also red meat, scince then I have lost some weight but it is slowly returning, I have food cravings, Im quite often hungery even shortly after I eat. I don't often lose my appitite unless Im upset or depressed which is also now a bit of a problem as well as iritability.
Doctors tell me I have IBS and that i should take more fiber and relax. Well im taking fine ground psyllium fiber and I feel a bit better but my stools are very knotted with some mucas. This seems to stop now and then but my stools become loose and brittle, could this be a sign that my colon is clearing out?