Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Expert Forum
Bowel Problems/ Ct Scan ?

This is a place to ask questions about digestive problems and receive a personal answer from a highly qualified doctor. You will also find support from other members who share your interest in digestive disorders. Digestive Disorders include: Anal and Rectal problems, Barrett’s Esophagus, Bleeding in the Stomach and Digestive Tract, Constipation, Crohn’s Disease, Gastritis, GERD, Heartburn, Proctitis, Short Bowel Syndrome, Ulcers, Whipple’s Disease, Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome (and many more).

Bowel Problems/ Ct Scan ?

Good Afternoon,

I have been having bowel problems for a while now. In the last two months I have been having left lower back pain and it brought my attention to my grastrointestinal health. I have had 2 MRIs done for the lumbar spine and cervical spine, an x-ray of the hips and pelvis (ok), an x-ray of my abdomen (ok). Today I got the results from my abdominal/pelvis ct scan. Basically everything was fine excep he noted mild diverticular disease on the sigmoid colon (no diverticulitis). I have been having change in bowel movement shape (kind of flat), a little bit of constipation and at times diarreah (diarrhea). The doctor ordered a high fiber diet, no milk, no fatty foods. Could the mild diverticulosis caused the change in shape of the bowels? The doctor did not go over this detail. The gastrointestinal tract in the abdomen was unremarkable. The liver, pancreas, gallbladder, spleen, adrenals, and kidneys were fine. No evidence of hernia or significant lymphadenophy in the pelvis or in the abdomen. No evidence of acute oseus abnormality was identified. No evidence of free fluid or air in the pelvis. No ductal dilatation of the gallbladder. No pericardial or pleural effusion seen. Do you think I can sleep peacefully knowing that My digestive system is ok except for the mild diverticular disease or should I in your opinion do any other tests? I am 34 years old, no colon cancer in the family...My grandfather did have diverticulitis. Sorry about all the space taken by the info. Thanks a million. I have ahd two of the most stressfull months of my life. I just need some peace.
Tags: bowel, Colon
Diverticulosis should not change the shape of the stool.

If this continues, you may want to consider a colonoscopy.  This can comprehensively evaluate for colon cancer.  The mucous can be due to colitis or malabsorption.  Again, a colonoscopy would be an essential test as part of the evaluation.  

The stool can also be sent for analysis - looking for infection or malabsorption.

These options can be discussed with your personal physician.

Followup with your personal physician is essential.

This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice - the information presented is for patients education only. Please see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.

Kevin, M.D.
www.kevinmd.com
Another thing, I was also having clear mucus in my bowel movements and a lot of gas and burping. I am now taking prevacid. Could the mucus have been related to the mild diverticulosis also? My Blood work was fine except my cholesterol was high and so was my blood pressure. The rest was all ok. The urine analysis was negative.
Thanks for your comments. Would a sigmoidscopy be ok due to the fact that the large intestine showed up ok on the ct-scan or do you still recommend the colonoscopy? Would it be odd at my age to have colon cancer, I am 34? and finally i forgot to explain that when this all happened I was under a lot of due stress and anxiety. In fact the last two-three months have been extremely bad...Could all this be IBS?...Excuse my ignorance on asking these three questions. Again, thanks a lot for your help.
I ahte to say it but if you're going to have the sigmoid, you might as well just have the colonoscopy.  I had one in 1999- I was only 25 and they were ruling conditions out in the search for my problem and if they are going to go (pardon my layman's terms) "rooting around" they might as well check it all out while they're in there.  Prepping for it kinda sucks, but my doctor was nice, I didn't remember any of the procedure and my doc actually gave me some of the pics which I sent out as christmas cards that year (my mother was mortified!)  :)   Good Luck!